Sunday, February 28, 2010

Taper Madness: Nerves and Electrolytes

Ok, I admit it.

I packed my suitcase last night, at least all the stuff I won't need in the next few days before we leave.

I just HAD to. It was driving me nuts!! It did much for my peace of mind, though I'm somewhat nervous about how much still has to go into that tiny little suitcase. Yikes! And then I have to bring home souvenirs for my family. At least my throwaway layers will be gone, leaving a little room.

I'm also nervous that I'm not well-prepared for the actual race. I did most of my runs with temps in the 30s, and the temps in Florida will be in the upper 40s to low 50s at the start of the race (the high for the day is supposed to be in the low 70s, but I anticipate being done around 9AM, or earlier). I don't know how the temperature difference will affect me.

And I'm nervous about maintaining my pacing in the large crowd. I've never run with so many people before!

And I'm nervous that, despite completing the training, I'm not really prepared. This is where I just have to trust The Penguin and his plan. The unknown is so overwhelming!

This week I am focusing on mental preparation, since I won't actually be running very much. I am also focusing on making sure I have enough electrolytes, and that I take in enough fluids. The section in Marathoning for Mortals for the Week Before Race Day makes a big mention of eating properly and taking in enough electrolytes. I tried the powdered Gatorade today (Lemon Lime flavor) and really liked it! That's a relief! I'll drink those this week, twice a day.

It's really hard to believe that this time next week, I will be a half-marathon finisher! WOW!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked the powdered gatorade.... i was thinking of you when i went down that aisle in the store today!

    ReplyDelete