Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Recovery: Week 1

Sorry this is so delayed! I came home to one of the busiest periods in my family's year! :)

As part of the half-marathon training program I used, there was also a 3 week recovery plan for after the half, beginning the day after the half-marathon. Here is what that first week looked like for me:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - rest (there was 20 minutes of cross-training on the schedule, but I decided that all the walking around I did at Disney World on Sunday and Monday, plus walking through the Orlando and Atlanta airports counted as enough cross-training for me LOL)
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - 60 minute ballet class (the schedule called for a 30 minute run)
Friday - rest
Saturday - 3 mile run (first run post-half marathon!!)
Sunday - rest

I can't even begin to describe how tired I was upon returning home. I don't know if it was the half-marathon exertion, the mental release, all the walking around I did going to the parks, or exactly what it was! But I honestly could not even think about putting my running shoes back on without feeling queasy. I was a little afraid that I would try to run on Saturday and end up just standing there, unable to run. Like I had used up all my running ability! LOL Thankfully, when I went out to the park on Saturday morning, I had no trouble at all! It was quite a relief!

Physically, that first week was also very difficult. I wasn't very sore, but I had a really hard time regulating my body temperature and managing my appetite. I was either really cold or sweating, and I was either starving or had no appetite at all. It was very strange.

Overall, I think the first week of recovery went very well. I had no idea what to expect from my body after that level of exertion! I think walking through the parks after the race was the best thing I could have done.

I'm halfway through Week 2 of recovery and will post that report on Sunday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment