Friday, April 2, 2010

First steps towards a Triathlon

Or rather, I guess it would be a first swim.

Today the kids and I went to the pool for the first time since last fall. I have decided to spend some time this spring and summer getting more comfortable in the water. I'm not planning on the Triathlon until 2011, but I have a real problem with putting my face in the water, so the sooner I can get started, the better!

I wore my tankini and my speedo goggles from Target, so I'm sure the lifeguards thought I was a funny sight. I really need to work on my swimming gear! LOL The swimsuit is too big, thanks to all the training I've been doing, and it was a bit uncomfortable to swim in. I kept getting water in my goggles, so I probably need to invest in a decent pair (remember the whole "face in the water" thing???). And I need a swim cap because I kept whacking myself in the face with my ponytail (more on that later LOL).

The kids were thrilled to be back at the pool, and it wasn't very crowded so I could get a lap lane right next to where they were playing. I have been reading a little about swimming and realized there is something called a "rest interval". I am assuming that is a rest between laps. If that isn't right, I hope someone will correct me. I know I need to be able to swim the equivalent of 16 lengths/8 laps, so that's what I want to practice. But I also know that I can't currently do more than 2 lengths at a time right now. So my plan is to do 16 lengths (or more) each time I go to the pool, taking a break of 1-2 minutes after each lap (2 lengths). And I would assume that, over time, the rest interval will go down, and one day I'll be able to swim the entire thing without stopping. Hopefully that time will coincide to June 2011! :)

The first couple of laps were ugly. It's been so long since I've been swimming, and I didn't really even swim that much to begin with last fall. And I really do NOT like putting my face in the water. So I was flipping my face in and out of the water really fast, and whacking myself with my ponytail. And my goggles kept getting water in them which freaked me out. So I decided during one rest interval to watch the other folks who were swimming in lanes near me. I noticed their smooth movements and that they didn't raise their faces out of the water so high. I decided to try that, and to try to RELAX (as much as I can LOL). It did help... I felt less panicked during the later laps. I'm sure it will get better the more I practice! And I'm hoping to get to the pool 1-2 times a week during the spring and summer.

I ended up doing 18 lengths (9 laps) in about 25 minutes. I don't think that was terribly bad! At least not for a first time. I think the most I ever did last fall was 8-10 lengths! I don't know if I'm that much stronger, or if the rest intervals help that much, or if it's a combination of the two. I felt great after we got out of the pool... but as we approach 4 hours later, I'm starting to feel a bit sore! And I have to run tomorrow and bike on Sunday! LOL

But it's worth it! And now I want to get a decent swim suit, goggles, and cap and start really working it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment