Saturday, June 26, 2010

Disneyland Half Marathon Training: Week 4

I can't believe the half marathon is only 10 weeks from tomorrow!! :) Here is what my training looked like this week:

Monday - run 45 minutes
Tuesday - swim 15 minutes
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - run 45 minutes, plus form drills
Friday - bike 30 minutes
Saturday - run 6.6 miles
Sunday - rest

I was excited to get the chance to swim again. It had been nearly 4 weeks since the last time I was able to swim, and I was afraid I wouldn't do very well with the time off. I was pleasantly surprised by how well I did. I was able to keep calm with my face underwater (which is such a challenge!), and I was shocked at my endurance. I lost count of the number of laps I did, but I know it was more than I usually do, and I do know that I took very few rest breaks! It felt great! Until Wednesday, when my glutes hurt SO much!! I guess that's why it's called cross-training, huh??

I have a race coming up on the 4th of July. I usually try not to mention local things ahead of time in case there are any stalkers out there, but since there will be 55,000 racers and more than 100,000 volunteers and spectators, I feel safe in mentioning it! I'll be doing the Peachtree Road Race in downtown Atlanta. It is supposed to be one of the largest 10K races in the world! The t-shirt, presented only to finishers, is a coveted item among runners in this area. It's very hard to get into the race itself, and the 55,000 spots fill up very quickly! I was able to get in, as was my BFF, when early registration was given to Bank of America associates and their guests - my mom is a B of A associate! :) This is the first year for timed wave starts, and we submitted our times from the Resolution Run, but we were both placed in Wave K instead of Wave F as was indicated on the website (based on our finishing time). This may not seem like a big deal, but it means we'll be starting 20 minutes later - and in downtown Atlanta on the 4th of July, that will be huge. I'm actually quite nervous about the heat and humidity. Right now, I do all my running at 6:30 AM. On my long run, I'm done by 8 AM at the latest. We won't even cross the start line until 8:15. This morning at 6 AM it was already 76 degrees with 80 percent humidity. It makes me nervous. And since it's downtown, we'll have to drive to the closest MARTA station and then take the train into town. It's all very complicated and confusing and it has me somewhat anxious. I hope this is all worth it.

Push ups just didn't get done this week. I got through a set and a half of Week 5 on Monday and just didn't have it in me to continue. I didn't do any at all on Wednesday. I did 30 on Friday just so my arms wouldn't forget how to do them. I'll try again on Monday, but if my arms continue to ache as badly as they have, I'll have to back off. I have other training to consider which is much more important.

Everything else went as expected this week. I wish I had known how horrible it was going to be to train in the middle of the summer. I promise to never complain again about running in the cold! I think I'd much rather bundle up than wear so little and still sweat so much that it looks like I just stepped out of the shower! LOL Someone remind me of that in January! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment