Sunday, October 3, 2010

Zooma Women's Half Marathon Training: Week 2

Monday - 50 minute run
Tuesday - 42 minute bike ride
Wednesday - 50 minute run, plus form drills
Thursday - 90 minute ballet class
Friday - rest
Saturday - 8 mile run
Sunday - rest

This was a crazy week to get my training in. Last Saturday, my teenage son hurt himself while sliding into 3rd base in a steal attempt. On Monday, I took him to the pediatrician to have him checked out and they referred us to the orthopedist. On Tuesday we went to the orthopedist to be told that his tibia was fractured at the ankle and he would require surgery to insert a screw into his ankle. That surgery would take place on Thursday morning! To say I felt overwhelmed would be an understatement. I was able to get nearly all my training in, except for Friday when I couldn't go swim my laps since my son couldn't be left alone. It was Ok, as I was way too tired to swim anyway! LOL

Saturday I had the opportunity to volunteer at a race for the first time! This race was the Georgia Race for Autism, which is near and dear to my heart as my son (the above mentioned base-stealer) and my younger daughter both have autism. My older daughter and I got up at 5:15 AM to serve the runners at this race. We manned the post-race refreshment table, in addition to assisting with walk-up registration. My daughter cheered on the racers as they crossed the finish line! It was absolutely fantastic! We had such fun!

We left the race at 9:30, and I went home to change clothes and do my own 8 mile run! I hadn't considered that all I had eaten was 3 Krispy Kreme donuts at 6:30 AM and that I had been on my legs nonstop for 3 and a half hours! The first mile of my run was really, really hard! My leg muscles had already been used, and I'm not used to standing for such a long period of time! I was afraid I might have to cut my miles short, but thankfully I was able to get all my miles in! And, to my shock, I actually ran it faster than I have before (only by a minute or so, so don't get too excited! LOL).

When I got home, I was able to use my new compression socks that I had ordered from RunningSkirts.com. They seem to work really well! :) I wanted to get them as I am preparing for (potentially) multiple half marathons in a month, and ultimately a full marathon. My right leg has a harder time with circulation, brought on during my last pregnancy. It isn't painful, but after a long run, my leg looks really awful. I'm hoping that using compression socks will help!

2 more weeks of increased mileage ... the weather is turning beautiful, so I'm going to have to remind myself to take it easy! LOL Also, I need to be thinking about what I'm going to wear during the race, and to try my new capris out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment