Saturday, October 16, 2010

Zooma Women's Half Marathon Training: Week 4

Monday - 60 minute run
Tuesday - 40 minute bike ride
Wednesday - 50 minute run, plus form drills
Thursday - 90 minute ballet class
Friday - swimming (lesson)
Saturday - 10.4 mile run
Sunday - rest

Well, the last week of the Zooma training is complete! And let me tell you, it is only that fact that got me out of bed at 5:45 AM on this cold, dark morning to meet my BFF at the park for my long run! I felt dreadful - all of you ladies will surely understand why - and I just wanted to stay in bed. But knowing that the taper would begin as soon as I finished was a great incentive! I wore the outfit I intend to wear on race day, and it looked and felt good.

Today's run FELT awesome, once I got into it. It's a funny thing that I should feel so much better after I ran 10 miles than before it. I felt really strong through the whole thing. And I felt really fast, too. Of course, when I got home, Garmin let me know exactly how incorrect my perception of my speed was! :) This was actually about a minute and a half slower than my 10 mile run before the Disneyland Half. However, I don't think I've felt better. I remarked to my BFF about 90 minutes in that I felt like I could keep going forever. I was just cruising along - well, if you can call my pace "cruising"! LOL I even ended up continuing on for .4 of a mile since my BFF was doing 12 miles today and I had around a mile to get back to the head of the trail. I ran on with her until there was half a mile left for my cool down! :)

Yesterday I got a swimming lesson from Bill, a older gentleman at our church who used to do triathlons and marathons. He's been offering for quite awhile, and I just haven't been able to find the right time to do it. But yesterday it all worked out! He had me start off with a 50 yard (1 lap) swim to assess my stroke. When I got back he remarked that I wasn't as bad off as he was afraid I was going to be! LOL I guess that's a compliment! The main thing I have to work on is my arm stroke. Bill showed me the correct stroke, and let me borrow some hand paddles for when I practice. The paddles will help me feel the resistance more easily, so I know I'm doing the stroke the correct way. It was really hard though. It reminded me a lot of when I first started ballet. There are SO many things to remember, and it's hard to remember all of them at the same time. I would be concentrating on making my arms go in the right places, and then I'd forget to breathe correctly! I'm sure I looked pretty dreadful! Also, it took a TON of energy. I would do one lap and be completely out of breath - when I'd been able to easily do 4 laps. For now, Bill said just to do 50 yards at a time while I'm using my energy to work on my stroke. Once it becomes second nature, then I can build up my endurance again. There are also a few other things I need to work on later, but for now, the stroke is the most important! I'm excited!!

So now the taper begins... the next 5 and a half weeks are going to be very busy, and very exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment