Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The nightmares of a half-marathon runner

I can't be the only one who has the jitters in the week prior to a race, right?

I've been so nervous about this one, too. I know it's because it's "different" - running 13.1 miles in north Georgia instead of California or Florida is bound to be. We have hills here. And wonky weather - which is going especially wonky just in time for the race. It's been in the 70s for highs and 50s for lows. The morning of the race is predicted to be right at or below freezing!! I sure have some mojo when it comes to messing with weather patterns since I started running. Perhaps they should call it "El Niffercoo"! ;)

Anyway, I always seems to have a nightmare a few days before a half. And it's always the same: I can't find the finish line. Last night's dream was even worse because not only could I not find the finish line, I couldn't find the goody bags and tee shirts either! LOL

Running is such a mental exercise for me. I'm hoping that this race will be better since I'm going to be running with my BFF and we'll have each other to talk to. There's not nearly so much time for my mind to play games with me if it's busy talking about movies, and music, and all the other stuff we talk about when we're on a long run together. And that's how I'm going to try to approach it this weekend - just a nice long run with my BFF.

I have to admit I'll be glad to get my first Georgia half out of the way! I'm sure my nerves will be much better for the next one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment