Monday, December 20, 2010

A whole week off!

Last week I did something I haven't done in more than two years: I took an entire week off from running! I wasn't sick, and it wasn't that I got too busy. I made the conscious decision to take some time off. My mom was taking me and my girls to Disney World for the week, and I decided that I would focus on the holiday fun instead of scrambling to fit in a workout.

Now, it was much easier to do this being busy at Disney... all that walking and fun in the parks and stuff means that running didn't really enter my mind. Well, not until Thursday afternoon. It had been bitterly cold Sunday - Wednesday, and then Thursday hit and it was gorgeous. We had to come back to the room in the afternoon to let the girls rest up before Mickey's Christmas Party, and I kept thinking how much I would love to go running in that beautiful weather! LOL But other than that, I didn't miss it.

Having said that, I was very, very ready to run when we got back Saturday night. I was anxiously anticipating the sunny afternoon on Sunday when I could get out for a 5 miler at the park. I was a little bit afraid I would have forgotten how to run! It wasn't as bad as that, but it was pretty hard. I wasn't pleased with how I felt during the entire 5 miles, but when I checked Garmin when I got home, I saw that I averaged 10:08 miles. That's a little faster than I usually do, and especially for not having run in 7 days. So I guess that's why it was so hard. But it was nice to be on the trails again!

I wonder if I could do a week off while I am at home. Being at Disney I was busy and walking a lot. Wonder if I could do it when I'm not busy like that? LOL Not sure I could!

No comments:

Post a Comment