Saturday, April 9, 2011

I think I need more than 3 hours of sleep before a long run!

Oh, did my body enjoy Friday's "rest day"!! Actually, I wasn't as sore as I expected to be, but it was still nice to enjoy that little respite before the weekend push.

Today was the "long run" day. It wasn't actually all that long, compared to what I've been running with half-marathon training. I did 3 laps at the park which worked out to be about 6.5 miles. I've decided to stick with running the 3 laps each week, or shorter according to the training plan, depending on how I'm feeling that particular day. I'm really going to listen to my body!

It was a slow time, though, compared to what I am usually able to run with my BFF who is a Speed Queen! There are a number of reasons why this might be:

1. It was muggy and icky out. The temperature was 63 degrees and the humidity was 97% at 7 AM when we met at the park. Utterly miserable and way too early in the year for this. I wonder if I have doomed us all to an unseasonably awful summer when I took on marathon training June-October?!

2. I got 3 hours of sleep last night. My daughter had a sleepover and we have a small house, so the girls had to have their sleepover in the living room. My bedroom happens to be right off the living room. At 1 AM, I had to get them to stop being so noisy in the bathroom where I believe they were putting on makeup. At 2 AM, I had to ask them to turn off the TV. At 2:30 AM, I reassured them that I was NOT mad at them, but I really did need to sleep. And then the alarm went off at 6 AM. It was cruel. (I napped for 3 hours this afternoon and could have slept for hours and hours more!)

3. Finally, it could be fatigue from training that caused me to run more slowly. I'm sure that played at least part of the role because even though we were running more slowly, I felt like I was really working hard.

Tomorrow is a "long bike ride" but this first one is only 30 minutes long so I'm not worried. What does worry me is Monday's run and swim, because of my other obligations. But I'll get it done. I think the triathlon nerves must be fading a little bit because I've been able to get some really good sleep the last few nights (well, except for last night's giggly girl experience!).

And speaking of good sleep... that's where I'm heading now...

No comments:

Post a Comment