Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fitness Psych 101

Ok, prop your feet up for a moment on my couch while I self-analyze using every bit of my minor in psychology to impress you!

Once upon a time, there was a skinny girl who was unhealthy. She smoked and her basic meal plan looked like this:

Breakfast - cigarette and Mr. Pibb on the way to school/work
Morning snack - cigarette
Lunch - A can of Pringles, a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, a Pibb, and a cigarette
Afternoon snack - chips, and a cigarette
Dinner - Macaroni and cheese from a box, Pibb, cigarette
After dinner snack - candy, chips, cigarette

Can you see why she was skinny? She didn't eat ANYTHING, and when she did eat it was junk. OK, I will admit it - "she" is me. Ugh. I cringed typing that out. Anyway, back to the story...

It was cool to "join a gym" when she was in college and they offered a discount for students so she joined and did the stairmaster. Sort of. Still smoking and eating junk food. Then she also started country line dancing a few nights a week at a local bar. Don't laugh, this WAS the early 90s, folks! Achy Breaky Heart?? Remember?? (Besides, that bar is where I met my musician husband so it was all worth it. But that's jumping ahead...)

Anyway, lots of calorie burning kept the pounds off. But still, I was the unhealthiest skinny person on the planet. And then, I entered into a very bad relationship with an older man who decided that I was not skinny enough. He told me I wasn't in shape like his roommate's fiancee, so I started doing some exercise videos, too. But he told me MY videos were too easy. So he bought me videos called Buns of Steel starring Tamilee Webb because that's what his roommate' fiancee used.

They were HARD. It hurt and he teased me because I couldn't do it. For my 21st birthday, he bought me exercise clothes. Did I mention at this point that I weighed under 100 pounds and I am 5'5" tall?? Less than a week after that birthday, he dumped me. Said I was too clingy and too immature. Isn't God good to be so merciful as to allow me to get away from him? I never would have left him on my own. How terrifying that would have been had I stayed. I met my husband less than 2 months later, so there is a happy ending to that crazy time in my life! :)

ANYWAY, I always carried around in my head that Buns of Steel and Tamilee Webb were this perfection in fitness, and that I had no chance of reaching that level of fitness. Ever. Period. I did use a Buns of Steel pregnancy tape and used that one during my last child's pregnancy when I had been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes in the first trimester. But it wasn't Tamilee, it was Madeline Lewis. For the record, that tape was excellent and I used it all the way up to the day before my daughter was born at 40 weeks, 4 days! I was in the best shape of my life, up to that point, during that pregnancy.

Fast forward to now. I don't have much time to do workout DVDs, and in what seems impossible, I find that I prefer to complete my workouts outside. And since I live in Georgia, that can be done year round for the most part. I have tried to do some Jillian workouts, but she gets on my nerves. I have been wanting to focus on core strength lately because I have read that one needs lots of core strength for marathon endurance. And, vainly, I would like more of a waistline than I currently have! LOL Additionally, I need to work on my upper body strength because I'm going to be participating in a Warrior Dash next week.

My library had a "Tight on Time" DVD by none other than Tamilee Webb, so I checked it out. And it sat on my dresser intimidating the heck out of me. I wanted to do it, and I only needed 10 minutes per workout. But deep inside myself I knew she was too hard for me. She had to be. It's "Tamilee".

Yesterday I decided to give it a try. I figured that if it was too hard, I would just get through the best I could and it would be OK. Apprehensively, I turned on the DVD and waited to see what would happen.

And what would happen is amazing! I did it!! I started with the Arms & Shoulders workout and used the 3 pound weights, since that's what Tamilee was using. And it wasn't too hard at ALL! I'm feeling it more today, but not once did I feel like I was out of my league! I moved on to the abs workout and that was more challenging, but I was able to complete the entire thing! When Tamilee said in her sweet voice, "Two more, please!" I flashed-back to twenty years ago when those words would cause me to wince. But not today.

It was a victory for my psyche. That little part of me that felt beat down and ashamed for all these years disappeared in those 20 minutes. And not only are my core and arms stronger for it, but so is my heart and mind! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What an amazing progression. Will have to look into the DVD, since I need to do some core work but not enough time to fit it into my training schedule...

    ReplyDelete