Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The last workout...

It's hard to believe that in 3 days I will be doing my first triathlon! Since I signed up way back in September, it seems like the triathlon has been on my radar for quite awhile, but seemed far enough away not to feel like reality (sort of like the marathons in October and November LOL). But all of a sudden, it's just a few days away! Time moves so quickly! Welcome to June!

Today was the last real workout of training, and it was a brick. Today I was scheduled for 30 minutes of biking and 15 minute of running. Everything went very well! No shin pain at all! And I was pleased with my pace. The only problem was the heat and humidity. I finished my workout at 8 AM and that's what time the tri will be STARTING. There is nothing I can do about the weather, though, except to make sure I'm hydrated and slow down my pace if necessary.

Yesterday I ended up taking my bike to the shop. I had had nightmares the previous two nights about flat tires, and I have no idea how to fix that. I decided that I needed to just go ask, even though it was intimidating. Bike shops are not warm and fuzzy places for women, especially for women who don't know what they are doing! But the folks at Apalachee Cycle were very kind. Bruce showed me how to change a tire, and I asked him to look at my tires and tell me if they look OK. He said they looked fine, and I also asked him about the trouble I have with the one valve - it wants to let air out, and it takes both me and Russ to hold it in just the right spot to put air in it. He had the same trouble with it, so we ended up changing out the tube in that tire. He used this time to show me the steps, and then he gathered up the necessary supplies and put them in a little pack to go under the seat of my bike! He also did some lubing and adjustments, including raising my seat a little bit. And while it was an unexpected $65 expense, it was worth it not to have bad dreams last night! :)

So tomorrow is a rest day, and I've decided that I won't practice transitions again. I'm feeling confident in those. I think the kids and I will go to the library and to the outdoor pool so they can get some play time in. Then Friday is a "baby brick" (20/10) to loosen up the legs. Friday night I need to get packed up, and we're going to pick up race packets that night instead of waiting until the morning of the race. The extra gas expense is worth my peace of mind of having everything and not being surprised at any race instructions.

Then Saturday is the big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment