Sunday, June 19, 2011

Marathon Training Recap: Week 1

I can't believe the first week is already over! I learned MANY, MANY valuable lessons this week already. But let's not jump the gun. First, a look at this week's training:

Monday - 60 minute Zumba class (off schedule)
Tuesday - 4.5 mile hill training (more than scheduled)
Wednesday - 35 minute run (off schedule)
Thursday - rest (off schedule)
Friday - rest
Saturday - 6.5 mile run (more than scheduled)
Sunday - rest

Yeah, yeah... didn't stick to the schedule very well, did I?? LOL This is what I was supposed to do:

Monday - 35 minute run
Tuesday - 35 minute run
Wednesday - 30 minutes XT (cross training)
Thursday - 35 minute run, plus form drills
Friday - rest
Saturday - 5 mile run
Sunday - rest

(This training plan is the Run/Walk a Marathon, from Marathoning for Mortals by John "The Penguin" Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. )

So that's my first lesson learned: I've got to stick to the schedule. It's going to mean letting go of the other things I want to do. But I want to be a marathoner, and I've got to put aside these other things so I can build up that endurance without getting hurt. The big hill on Tuesday hurt. I have been dealing with the consequences of that all week long. I have to take care during these 5 months that I don't overdo it.

Next lesson learned: I've got to guard my pacing again. I have gotten somewhat faster during the triathlon training (and during the off-season that preceded it). But I think I need to slow down a bit so as not to wear out my legs. I can run a faster pace during my runs and it feels good, but the recovery time is more than if I run slower. And I don't have as much time built-in to the schedule to allow for recovery.

Third lesson learned: This is probably not the best time to try new things. I assumed I could do this Zumba class and then run the same day and then continue on with the schedule. Or that I could, at least, do Zumba and then run Tu-Th, switching the cross-training day. And maybe I still can. I don't know if the lingering fatigue and soreness I've been experiencing is due to that nasty hill on Tuesday, or to the Zumba class, or a combination of both.

With this lessons in mind this is my plan for the upcoming week: I will try Zumba again and attempt the 3 days of running. I will skip the hill training and guard my pace. If that doesn't help, then I will have to drop Zumba, which is OK! It's fun, but the marathon is the goal! I am going to have to give it up after July anyway because we will be resuming lessons in our home school. So if I have to let it go sooner, it won't be the end of the world.

I've gotta get these aches and pains resolved before the mileage starts really taking off! I really regret not resting more during the week between the triathlon and training beginning. I hope I have learned my lesson now! :(

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you should take it easy. Don't overdo at the beginning so you can make it to the end!

    ReplyDelete