Sunday, June 26, 2011

Marathon Training Recap: Week 2

Why does it seem that whenever I really want to blog that's when I end up having the least amount of time to do it? This isn't going to be a very good documentation of my marathon training if I keep this up! LOL

Here is this week's training, with what was actually on the schedule listed in italics:

Monday - 60 minute Zumba class (35 minute run)
Tuesday - 35 minute run
Wednesday - 35 minute run (30 minute XT)
Thursday - 35 minute run w/ 2 form drills (4 drills were scheduled)
Friday - rest
Saturday - 6.5 mile run (6 mile run)
Sunday - rest

I had mentioned the problem with my left leg last week. This week I did the best I could to try to rehab the leg while still maintaining my workout schedule. I did this by really guarding my running pace. I was still unsure if the leg was injured, or if it was just a muscle issue from the new workouts I had taken on the previous week (Zumba and the massive hill). By the end of the week, I was fairly certain it wasn't an injury. By keeping my pace nice and slow, any tightness in the leg would work itself out - first by about mile 2, then later on my long run, by the end of the first mile!! What a relief!

But it is a reminder that I will need to be very careful with my pacing during training... I remember that from back when I was training for my first half marathon. I actually have to kick back a step on the pacing while I'm increasing my mileage and endurance. It's been such a long time since I've worked on adding mileage that it's hard to keep these things in perspective, especially since my pace seemed to actually increase while I was triathlon training. But that was reducing my actual overall running mileage, so that would make sense.

I am planning to take one more Zumba class tomorrow, since I've paid for it, and then I will have to stop. I'd planned to do Zumba in July, too, but I think I need to go ahead and drop Zumba so I can stick to the training plan.

In other news - I also have a decision to make about the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend. A friend is going to run the relay (with another person) but she needs a room mate and someone to share the drive. I can't very well let her go down there alone, can I? And since I'd already be marathon trained, I could keep up the fitness for a couple of months and knock out the Marathon so I never have to marathon train again! LOL (Of course, with that line of thinking... maybe I should just go for the Goofy Challenge, right?? The half on Saturday and the full on Sunday??). Oh yeah. I'm crazy. ;)

The only thing that stops me is the money! My husband did tell me that at least this kind of mid-life crisis is cheaper than wanting a sports car! @@

No comments:

Post a Comment