Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rest Day

Today, I'm taking the day off. Tomorrow, I'll be doing the same thing!

It's shocking, I know! But I looked at my calendar yesterday and I haven't taken a day off in 7 days.

One thing I've been struggling with since the triathlon has been over, and my focus has turned to the marathon, is not wanting to 'give up' any of the previous training I have been doing. I want to continue to swim twice a week and bike twice a week, take this Zumba class I started on Monday (and loved!), add in some Power Yoga and Strength Training DVDs - all while ramping up my mileage for the marathon.

It's just not going to work. The "Mother of All Hills" on Tuesday really took a lot out of my legs. Yesterday when I did my regular run, my left calf was very sore. I wore my compression socks yesterday afternoon which seemed to help a little bit - but what I think I need the most is some good, old-fashioned rest. I pushed my long run last Saturday, and then turned around and did a bike ride on Sunday, and then added a strenuous Zumba class on Monday, and THEN ran up this insane hill on Tuesday.

That's just too much for my old body! And far better to take an extra day off in this first week and get my body rested well, than to go into 19 more weeks of training with sore muscles that are only going to get more sore as the mileage increases.

I've gotta play this smart. There will be plenty of time to re-train for triathlons next spring. And after the marathons this fall, I'll figure out a way to increase my strength training! LOL

Just too much stuff I want to do and too little time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment