Sunday, July 17, 2011

Marathon Training Recap: Week 5

I am 1/4 of the way done with marathon training!! It's amazing! This week's training went much better. I'm not sure if it's mental (dropping Zumba and sticking to the training program more closely) or if it truly was better, but I'll take it regardless!

Monday - 45 minute run (5/1 interval)
Tuesday - 40 minute run; 700 meter swim
Wednesday - 28 minute bike ride
Thursday - 45 minute run, plus form drills
Friday - rest
Saturday - 8 mile run (10/1 interval)
Sunday - rest

So the only thing I changed this week was to add a little swim on Tuesday since we were at the pool anyway. I did cut my cross-training (bike ride) short on Wednesday to balance it out. It felt really, really good to be in the pool again. I never would have expected to feel that way. Missing the feel of a good swim was definitely not something I would have anticipated back when I was so scared of putting my face in the water and I felt like I was drowning after 2 laps!

Doing the intervals the way I did worked out really well. I did intervals on Monday knowing I would be running the next day. My BFF and I are working on finding a good interval for our long runs. 5/1 felt a little too short but 10/1 seemed a bit long at times. Next time we're going to try 7/1 and see how that works. We are still running long distances that we've done before, so it's a good time to try playing around with the intervals. Hopefully we'll find a good balance between rest and insanity before we start venturing into the really long distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment