Saturday, July 23, 2011

Marathon Training Recap: Week 6

This has seemed like the week that will not end!! Not that it was bad, because it wasn't. But there was so much going on (running and otherwise)! Here is what training looked like:

Monday - 45 minute run, 5/1 interval
Tuesday - 700 meter swim; 40 minute run, hill training
Wednesday - 30 minute bike ride
Thursday - 45 minute run, form drills
Friday - rest
Saturday - 9 mile run, 7/1 interval

I clocked 22 (and almost a half) running miles this week, which is more miles than I have ever run in a single week before! That's so exciting to me!

The biggest running problem I experienced this week was a stray dog. It started bothering me the week before, and last weekend my husband and I went around the neighborhood and knocked on the doors near where it hangs out to inquire. Finally a lady said that it is a stray dog and she has called about it before. I told her I would also be calling on Monday.

Well, on Monday morning bright and early, there was the dog and it took after me, barking and growling. I yelled at it like I usually do and it went away, but then came after me the next time I ran by. I avoided it the next time around, but noticed that it was standing out in the middle of the road watching those of us walking/running in the neighborhood. The older lady who walks while I run was so scared that she went back home.

I called the number on the animal control website and got the police. They took the information and said they would give it to animal control. On Tuesday morning I was planning to do some hill training outside my neighborhood, but I drove by where the dog usually stays looking for it. Didn't see it. Wednesday was a bike ride day, and I drove by again and it was there where it usually is. I called animal control directly this time and was told that I have to call through the police to report the dog. She also said that they are understaffed and underfunded and our county is really big. We live less than 1/2 mile from the animal shelter. @@ I reminded her that school starts in 2 weeks, and it would be awful for a child to get chased by this dog and possibly bitten. Then I called the police line again to report the dog. And then I ordered some pepper spray.

Thursday I ran outside the neighborhood again. But I don't want to keep doing this, and I shouldn't have to! For one thing, it adds 45 minutes to my routine because the closest parks are 15-20 minutes EACH WAY. Not to mention the gas I'm having to use. The pepper spray came yesterday and my husband showed me how to use it. I am really nervous though. I don't want the dog to just get mad and come after me again. I just want it to leave me alone so I can run in peace.

Other than that excitement, training went very well. I was glad to get in another swim workout, but it was hard to do the hill training immediately afterward. I'm not sure why it was such a problem, though, as this is the same place I did the swim/run every single week during the tri training. Maybe it's the extra weekly mileage? Or the heat/humidity?

Today's long run was pretty good. We did the 7/1 interval and I think it might be the magical interval for us, at least for now! We do reserve the right to change to 5/1 or something as the mileage continues to increase! :)

This coming week will be the last week before we start our new school year. And then that will be fun combining lessons and marathon training! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Explain the 7/1 or 5/1 intervals please? I don't know what it means.

    ReplyDelete