Monday, July 4, 2011

Race Report: Peachtree Road Race

This morning was my 2nd running of the largest 10K in the world: the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta! Like much of the south, we have had a heat wave here for the last month or so, and today was no exception. It was 73 degrees with 85% humidity at 5:30 when I picked up my BFF, and our start wave was scheduled to begin at 7:55! YUCK!

Here is a picture of me in the parking garage at MARTA (rapid transit). With 60K runners, plus volunteers, family, friends, and spectators, you don't want to try to drive into town! LOL I wore my new SparkleSkirt.

Here I am in the Corral waiting to start the race. There was a flyover today from 3 fighter jets. It was awesome!
The race itself started out terribly. My lower left leg, the one that has been giving me trouble off and on for the last few weeks, was irritating me on the way down to the race. It hadn't bothered me so much in the last couple of days... so why did it have to start today?? Then when we started running, I simply could NOT get my breath. I didn't think I was running TOO ghard (chose not to wear my Garmin today so I could just focus on enjoying myself) but I felt like I couldn't breathe. Then, my side started hurting. This was all within the first mile or so. By the 2nd mile, my right knee decided to join in. It hasn't bothered me in a year at least! What the heck?!?!

So I just focused on slowing down and relaxing and getting some rhythm to my breathing... and soon enough, everything started falling into place. I made sure to drink plenty of water at each water stop, and even ran through some of the sprinklers, as seen below:
I ended feeling much stronger for the next 3 miles, and it wasn't until the last mile or so that I felt like I was done. My body was tingling all over! LOL And since it seems that race directors insist on having their finish lines include some hill work, I had to give a little more at the end. But then it was done and we got the coveted "finisher's shirt". The designs are posted online and voting takes place in the months leading up to the race. The winning design is revealed at the race when you pick up your shirt. Here is mine:
Of course, it's the one design that I did NOT like. @@ Oh well, that's OK!! It was a good race, overall, and I was proud of myself for overcoming the obstacles at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment