Monday, September 5, 2011

Race Report: Big Peach Sizzler 10K

The forecast ended up being very wrong for this race, and I'm glad! Last night when I went to bed, weather.com called for 90% chance of heavy rain. Then this morning at 5 AM when I woke up to get ready, the forecast said 90% of thunderstorms! I was preparing for the worst! But it never did more than drizzle. The wind was a little strong at times, but the course was fairly flat (for Atlanta LOL).

I finally got to wear my "Blue Splatter" outfit from Skirt Sports - very comfy and cute! I didn't take the camera with me, or the Garmin, because of the threat of very wet weather, so I don't have many pics to share.
One side benefit of not wearing the Garmin was that I had to race/run based on how I felt, not on my actual pace moment to moment. I knew that I didn't want to push too hard because this is a high-mileage week. So I think I was able to run at a comfortable race pace without going all out - and I managed to set a PR. OK, so it was only by 15 seconds (ETA: they had only posted gun time! According to chip time, I beat my PR by 58 seconds! WOOHOO!!), but that's really not too bad for not really trying! LOL AND if the time standards hold for next year's Peachtree Road Race, then I'll finally get out of the "F" corral and make my way into the lovely "E" corral. Of course, the standards changed this year, too, keeping me in "F" corral so I'm not counting on much! ;)

Regardless, it ended up being a fun race - though not one I think I need to do over again. I have my shirt with the cute "Peachy" on it (the little Peach character wearing running shoes - it's the local running store's mascot). And the bright orange will certainly be helpful when I'm riding my bike or running in the dark and I need to be spotted! LOLOL
One more race this week is yet to come - this one will be a 5K that we're throwing into the middle of our 16 mile training run! Should be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment