Sunday, October 9, 2011

Marathon Training Recap: Week 17

Wow, this was such a bad week of training. I'll try to keep this post positive. Just be glad I didn't post on Saturday afternoon like I usually do! My attitude is somewhat better today.

Monday - 48 minute run
Tuesday - 45 minute run (5/1 intervals)
Wednesday - 1000 yard swim
Thursday - 48 minute run (5/1 intervals)
Friday - rest day
Saturday - 20 mile run
Sunday - rest day

So you see, I did get my 20 mile run in. It went really, really well until around mile 17-18 when my knees started to scream at me. It wasn't ever "we are injured", just "we are your knees and we aren't going to do this any longer"! During the cool down walk, which probably should have been longer, they quickly felt better. I stretched and drove home and took my cold shower. Put on compression socks and did a few things around the house, and noticed that my left knee felt especially badly. I decided to ice both knees a few times during the day. The left knee got worse as the day went on, but not when it was still, only in movement such as walking or flexing my knee. I took a motrin and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning, the left knee felt much better and the right knee was a little twingy. I iced both knees this morning before church, and the left one has been bothering me off and on all day. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it starts to hurt but then it just goes away. I have no idea what the problem is. I haven't had ANY trouble with my knees at all during this training - at least not that I can remember. I had a little trouble with my left foot earlier this week so I wonder if I changed my gait in some way and that bothered my knee, maybe? Who knows! All I know is that I did my 18 mile run after walking at Disney all week long and felt great afterward. This is awful!

I am now actually wondering if I'm going to be able to finish. I never worried about that before. I always figured that I would be able to plod along, slowly but surely, and reach the finish. But now this knee thing comes out of the blue on the one run that's supposed to reassure me that I can do this. :(

I'm going to wait and see how I feel before I consider my run for tomorrow. I am starting to taper but it really isn't a dramatic taper - in fact, for the next two weeks the only part that decreases is the long run on Saturday. So if I need to miss tomorrow's run, or Tuesday's, or both, for the sake of my knee, then I won't hesitate. I'll just have to see how I feel when I wake up in the morning. All of my runs from here on out will be with walk intervals, and I will definitely be guarding my pace religiously during the next 3 weeks! That's really all I know to do: rest and go "low and slow". I hope it's enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment