Saturday, October 1, 2011

Race Report: Georgia Race for Autism 10K 2011

I was really excited to be able to participate in this race today - the proceeds go to the local autism support group, and benefit kids locally. I last ran it in 2009 when it was just a 5K and in another location. Last year, they moved locations, added a 10K, and became a "Peachtree Road Race Qualifier" (which is the Atlanta equivalent of "Boston Qualifier" LOL). Because I was in the middle of Half Fanatic qualifying, I chose to volunteer instead of run. My daughter and I set up the food table and had a great time. But when the race started, I felt sad that I wasn't running.

This year, I decided to volunteer on Friday evening for set-up and packet pick-up so I could still run! My daughter and I worked together again, which was nice!

The marathon training plan called for 8 miles today, but I figured 6.2 miles was close enough, especially since I had an impromptu cycling lesson with my tri coach on Thursday that added to my training. We are experiencing a cold snap and I awoke to the temperature being 49 degrees - about 10-15 degrees cooler than usual. I wasn't sure what to wear, but I went with my new capris since I might need to wear them for MCM and I haven't had a chance to wear them in the heat of the summer.

The course was moderately challenging... a few hills including one long one... but it wasn't too bad. My BFF took off on her speedy way to a new PR and I settled in to try to work on my race pacing. I did better than I had during the Big Peach Sizzler (when I set a PR) or during the Operation Soldier Support 5K. Still, I was about 25 seconds per mile faster that I was shooting for. The first mile was the fastest, and then I settled into 2 miles around my goal of 10:30, before I inched back to 9:55ish.

The course wound mostly through a neighborhood and there weren't a ton of folks running the 10K so after we split off from the 5Kers, it was very quiet. There wasn't much crowd support - or ANY crowd support LOL - but the volunteers who were out there were very encouraging and nice! It was easy to zone out and get into a groove, which was something I haven't been able to do for awhile. It was really nice!!

Here is the requisite "race shirt" picture:
The next race on my calendar is the Marine Corps Marathon!! WOW!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love the race shirt and Congratulations for a great job well done. Looking forward for more races to have more kids to helped.

    ReplyDelete