Friday, November 18, 2011

A brief update

I didn't realize it had been a week since I last posted! The last 7 days have been incredibly overwhelming for our family. We spent last Friday night in the ER with my 15 1/2 year old son. He was at band practice and had a grand mal seizure. It was his first seizure since October 2008, and last month he had been given the "all clear" because he had been one-year seizure-free off medication. And this seizure was the most intense one he has ever had. What made it more frightening was that we weren't there. He is OK, though. He is back on seizure meds and we have to go for an EEG soon.

You may remember (and if you don't, you can refresh your memory by reading my very first post on this blog) that one of the reasons I started running in the first place was because Austin had started having seizures. So here we go again... except this time I'm injured and I can't run. It's been so difficult. My son is handling everything so well, though, so I'm inspired by his courage and strength!

Recovery has gone well this week, but I will save the details on that front for my "recovery" post this weekend! LOL

Yesterday I had my first ever massage! Yeah, first ever! She was very surprised that I have been running for 3 years and never needed a massage. She said, "You must be very flexible and do lots of stretching." Yeah, not so much, huh? LOL I told her I've probably just been lucky - up until marathon training! ;) It really hurt, but I just focused on what it could mean for my running in the long term and tried to relax. She instructed me to drink plenty of water and take an epsom salt bath, and she really suggested that I come back a few times. I'm going to have to wait and see how I feel because today I am really sore (which she said I would be). I am very "tight" and this is just what happens I guess. I haven't done my PT stretches yet this morning, so I hope that helps! LOL

Next week I see the doctor again. If he releases me from PT, then I might add a massage once a week until I'm through with Goofy. I really can't afford much more PT, so I hope that I'm nearly done! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment