Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"Good News, Bad News"

When you're on the treadmill, walking sideways on an incline, and your PT stands across from you and says "Good News, Bad News" - you may want to flee for your life!

OK, so it's not that bad, really. I am being a bit over-dramatic. ;)

So he says that I need to start running regularly again so I can be somewhat ready for Goofy. He wants me to run twice before I see him again next week (which will be my last time to see him). He said it might hurt or be uncomfortable, but he needs to know how I feel during and after so he can help me deal with it. I assume that means via stretches or some strengthening exercises.

Then he went on to say that I still need to "take off" during January and February. He added that that doesn't mean I stop moving altogether, but that everything comes down a few notches. He said I didn't even necessarily need to stop running, but that the runs need to be very short distances and intensity. It sounded to me like I may be dealing with this for a few more months, depending on how quickly the IT band loosens and how well my body responds.

I admit that I'm apprehensive about running. My brain still remembers how badly it hurt during MCM! But I know that I need to get running again if I'm going to be able to attempt Goofy. I need to know what to expect, and what sort of techniques I will need to do to be able to cope.

I'm not all that upset about "taking off" for a couple of months because that was my plan anyway. And I know that 2012 will be a lighter year for training and racing anyway. If 2011 was "The Year of the Marathon", 2012 might just be "The Year of Recuperation!" :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment