Sunday, November 27, 2011

IT Band Recovery - Week 3

It's hard to believe this is just Week 3 of recovery. It's been 22 days since the Rock 'N Roll -Savannah weekend and exactly 4 weeks since I ran the marathon. It seems so much longer than that though. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to recover from IT Band Syndrome. :(

Here is what recovery looked like this week:

Monday - 1:15 PT; 30 minute run (3/1 intervals); PT stretches and foam rolling
Tuesday - 1500 meter swim, PT stretches and foam rolling
Wednesday - 1:15 PT; PT stretches and foam rolling
Thursday - :60 Yoga Conditioning for Athletes; PT stretches and foam rolling
Friday - PT stretches and foam rolling
Saturday - :60 Yoga for the Warrior; PT stretches and foam rolling
Sunday - PT stretches and foam rolling 

It's been really hard to keep a positive attitude this week. My test run on Monday really disappointed me. After telling my PT Steve what the doctor had said about continuing to run through the pain and seeing the look on his face, I decided not to run again until the tweaks that I feel in my knees are completely gone. They creep up now mostly when I'm doing two particular stretches where I have to be down on my knees, and then when I'm driving or sitting. I have to admit, though, that I was really hoping it would be all gone by now. I have been so good with my stretching and foam rolling. I really thought that walking the half instead of pushing on to the full would have meant that my recovery would be mostly over by now. Apparently, that's not the case.

Goofy weekend is a mere six weeks away. I truly do not know how I'm going to be able to take part in it. I haven't run now (except this test run) in 4 weeks. I am going to try to get over to a gym and see about doing some elliptical and bike for the next few weeks to complement my swimming, but I'm not sure if that's too little, too late. I was going to try to sign up this weekend, but I'm just afraid to throw more money at this.

I'm just really, really sad. I am trying not to be... but it just overwhelms me at times and I start crying, like right now while I'm typing this! Today's sermon at church was on Lazarus - and this particular time through of hearing the story, my heart focused on how upset Mary and Martha were. Mary wept at Jesus' feet and cried out to Him that if He would only have come in time, her brother never would have died. But Jesus hadn't dawdled on His way there - His timing was perfect. I know that my running isn't a life or death matter - though it may feel like it to my heart and soul. But God's timing is perfect in this situation as well. I just can't see it now. I hope I will one day!





No comments:

Post a Comment