Friday, December 2, 2011

Could it be?? Progress??

This morning, with much trepidation, I took my first training run for the Goofy Challenge. Ok, so it was only 30 minutes, but it was the first run since I was told I need to get back to training. I cannot begin to describe how nervous I was. Yesterday I was encouraged by the fact that, for the first time in more than a month, I had not had a single twinge of knee pain all day. I got up this morning, stretched and rolled, and faced the cold (my thermometer said it was 31 degrees).

I planned to do a 3/1 interval, but my dear PT, Steve, told me that I needed to make sure to walk for 5 minutes before and after I did any running. So I did so, even though it was so cold. I felt the discomfort begin right at the usual spot, but it never got to be painful. The walk breaks definitely helped and there was no pain when I resumed running. I think I may switch to a 2/1 interval the next time and see if that helps even more.

I did  my 5 minutes of walking afterward and came inside to stretch. Just like during MCM, when I stopped moving, the pain started. I kept patient, though, and I stretched and rolled for a good 30 minutes. I sat down to update DailyMile, and my knees really hurt. I whined to my DailyMile friends list that I must be the only person never to recover from ITBS. But then I stood up to get a shower and there was no pain. And then I sat down, and then I stood up, and there was no pain. It was like that for the rest of the morning and into the early afternoon. I think maybe I felt a twinge once or twice! I think that's progress! Last time I ran (11 days ago), I felt the same discomfort during the running, but I was in pain the entire rest of the day.

I also went for my second massage today. I decided to get a massage membership and I will go once a week through Goofy, and then once a month until May. My massage lady, Trina, was horrified to learn that she bruised me. Two weeks later, you can still see the worst ones, so she could tell that it was bad. She apologized profusely and said she would be easier on me today. And she was... I nearly fell asleep, I was so relaxed. Of course, then she hit my "spots" and that woke me up in a hurry! But I noticed when she was moving my leg around today, there was no twinging like there was last time! I could do the entire rotation without feeling anything unusual. I have been feeling a little something in my knees since I got home, but I stretched a bit and it has helped.

The plan is to run again on Monday, like Steve told me to do. Then Wednesday, I'll see him for the last time and develop my game plan. I don't know what he has in store for me, but I feel confident that his suggestions will be in my best interest. 5 weeks from this weekend is Goofy. That's not a lot of time, but I can only do my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment