Sunday, December 11, 2011

Goofy Challenge Training - Week 1

I guess since I'm at the gym and on the roads again, I need I can officially call myself "in training", huh? 5 weeks of training for 39.3 miles over 2 days? Sure! No problem!!

Here is what it looked like this week (assume PT stretches 2 times per day and Rolling 3 times per day):

Monday - 30 minute walk (2/1 interval); 15 minute walk
Tuesday - 30 minute recumbent bike; weights
Wednesday - Physical Therapy; 40 minute elliptical; weights
Thursday - massage; Yoga Conditioning for Athlete/YCFA (60 minutes)
Friday - 1700 yard swim; weights; YCFA 
Saturday - 1 mile walk; 3.1 mile walk; YCFA
Sunday - YCFA

So I'm starting to ramp up my intensity again and I will need to monitor myself very carefully. I want to be able to train without aggravating my injury. That's going to be tricky. I think the temptation will be to do too much, too quickly - and that will be a mistake. This is a very precarious time in my recovery

My massage went much better this week. Instead of feeling sore and achy, I felt like my legs were very loose and relaxed. It was great!

I'm seeing little signs of progress every day, which is nice. I know that recovery does not take place in a linear manner, so I will need to remember that if I have a twinge or some pain in the next week, it doesn't mean that I am going backward - though it will be wise to take a break and see how it feels the next day.

A friend gave me some very wise counsel when I mentioned to her that I don't want Marathon Weekend to be a waste. Basically she told me that it will be what I make of it - whether I complete Goofy, or part of it, or none of it at all. And she is so right! I'll be at Disney with friends! It will be a wonderful time! :)

I guess I need to start thinking about what I'm going to wear - and start a shopping and packing list! ACK!

2 comments: