Saturday, December 3, 2011

On a clear day...

When my mind is clear and I'm able to think rationally with the proper perspective (and fewer raging emotions), I truly believe that this injury has been the best thing for my running career. The timing has been horrible, that is true. And it's been very expensive (therapy, doctor appointments, massage therapy, meds, etc) which will impact the number of races I can do in 2012.

But I think when all is said and done, I will come out of this a stronger runner and a stronger person.

I needed this flexibility and strength training more than I realized. I never knew it was so important, and now that is a lesson I will keep with me. I simply must make time for yoga and stretching and strengthening exercises.

My body needs a break from constantly pushing forward to more and more distance. Since I started running 3 years ago, I have constantly been adding more distance to my training. I have never had a significant plateau time. This year, I was in heavy training from April until October. My body needs rest - maybe more rest than other people, and maybe more rest that I would prefer. My body needs an off-season. I'm not sure that I would have done that on my own. .

Most importantly, though, I have learned am learning that I can get through what seems like the most overwhelming disappointment and trust in God. I am getting to live out my Bible verse for running that's on the top of this blog!! I am trusting in the Lord and I am finding new strength. And one day - hopefully within the next 5 weeks from now (aka WDW Marathon Weekend) - I will run and not grow weary, and I will walk and not faint.

And my knees won't hurt! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment