Monday, January 30, 2012

On the Road Again!

I ran this afternoon for the first time since Goofy!! I can't begin to describe how nervous I was in the hours leading up to this run. I kept praying for peace of mind, no matter how the run itself turned out. I have learned more about trusting God, but it still takes practice and control to do so. I didn't want to be freaking out during my run because I was feeling twinges and stuff.

The weather could not have been more beautiful. It must have been close to 60 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. . I wore my CW-X capris with a skirt over them, and a short sleeve shirt. I didn't wear the IT Band straps this time because I want to get back to running without the 'aids' and the only way I'll be able to accurately measure my progress is if I start back without them. I also ran the entire loop of my neighborhood instead of just the flatter areas.

I rolled before I came outside, and also did one rep of each of my PT stretches. Then I started out with a 5 minute warm-up walk. Then I moved into the 1/1 interval I had decided upon. I chose this one because I had done them a couple of times before Christmas without any pain - of course, that was with the IT band straps. I didn't run with music this time because I wanted to concentrate on my form. I have been reading a book called Chi Running (which I will go into in more detail in another post!) and I wanted to use the information that I've gleaned so far from that book to help me with my form. Mostly I was working on keeping my extremities relaxed and using more of a midfoot strike.

I didn't feel any pain at all during the run, though my legs definitely feel different than they did before the injury. I'm not sure if that's due to the injury, or if my awareness is just up, or what exactly is up. Maybe my legs are still tired and recovering from Goofy? I ran/walked for 30 minutes and then did another 5-6 minutes of walking to cool down and get back home.

Once I was back home, I rolled out my IT Bands again. Then I did a running yoga mini-workout from my Yoga Conditioning for Athletes DVD. I followed that up with another round of my PT stretches.

I still haven't had any pain in the 7-8 hours since I've finished my run. I am still very aware of my legs, not just my knees but everywhere. I think that must be fatigue. I drove twice to take my daughter to dance and pick her back up and didn't have pain in my knee but it did feel a little funny. It reminds me of how it felt back in early December. I will keep a close eye on everything this week and see how it compares to my next run which will be next Monday. I'm going to keep careful records of how I'm feeling so I can determine when to add more runs and when to back off!

This is definitely harder than just going out there and running. I really miss that and I pray I can get it back! 


No comments:

Post a Comment