Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rest

I tried to come up with a clever title for today's post and came up with nada. LOL But if you're here to see how the IT Band recovery is coming, then you're in luck! :)

As I mentioned before, I have been having random aches and pains since Goofy. It's frustrating, to say the least. But I'm trying to be a new version of the "Runner Girl" that I am and listen to my body much better than I have in the past. My original plan was to resume running on Monday. But, assuming that the aches and pains don't improve dramatically before then, I will postpone. And in all likelihood, even if it does feel better, I'll still wait the additional week. So here is my new and improved game plan:

Week 1 Post-Goofy: yoga only
Week 2 Post-Goofy: swimming and yoga (current week)
Week 3 Post-Goofy: cycling (recumbent at gym), swimming, and yoga (resume strength training)
Week 4 Post-Goofy: running (1x week), cycling, swimming, strength training, and yoga
Week 5 Post-Goofy: same as week 4
Week 6 Post-Goofy: running (2x week), cycling, swimming, strength training, and yoga

You'll notice there is lots of cross training in there. And that I'm resuming the running very methodically and slowly. That's the key to the plan. Careful. Slow. Wimpy. Patient.

I am also weaning myself off the NSAID that I have been taking since late October. I was taking one pill in the morning and one in the evening. On Tuesday of this week  began just taking the one in the morning. When my pills run out in a few weeks, then I'll be done. I'm hoping this will also give me a clearer picture of how my recovery is proceeding - sans medication.

Furthermore, I am trying something new with my stretching (aka home exercise) program. I have been wondering if the stretching was contributing to the twinges, and when I was doing yoga yesterday it hit me that during yoga you are supposed to relax and breathe through the hold. Well, when I'm doing my stretches, I think  push too far/hard in my stretches and, as a result, I'm getting little release in the muscle - and I think that's the whole point of the stretching. So starting with today, I am not going to push my stretches and instead just relax through them and let them extend through the relaxation. At least, that's my hope! LOL

And finally, I will leave you with a quote from RunnerGirl's Facebook Wall today, attributed to half-marathon record-holder Ryan Hall:
"I constantly remind myself that resting takes confidence. Anyone can train like a mad man but to embrace rest and to allow all the hard training to come out takes mental strength." 



No comments:

Post a Comment