Thursday, February 9, 2012

One more step towards recovery!

Today, I did something I have not done since October 2011 - I ran twice in one week! (Ok, yeah, I know that I did Goofy in January which was running back-to-back days... but that was more walking than running, and, well, anyway.... it's just different. Trust me! LOL).

I did a 1/1 interval like I did on Monday and like I did last week. It was super-cold this morning and it was hard to relax my muscles like I've been trying to do as I work on my form, but I did the best that I could! Towards the end (30 minutes) my left IT band started to tighten up. I felt it coming on because I started having a hard time relaxing my left leg. But it never hurt... it was just tight. When I got back home and rolled and did my post-running yoga, it felt completely better and hasn't bothered me the rest of the day!

Excuse me for a minute while I say HOOOOORRAAAAAYYYY!!

Since this was a successful step up, next week I plan to run twice again. It is so tempting to add a third day back, but I really want to be careful. I figure the IT Band tightening is a little sign that I need to stay where I am. No pain is a good thing, and the fact that it released right away is awesome, but I don't want to take any chances! I'll run twice again next week, and if there is no tightening/pain then I will add a 3rd run the following week!

It feels so good to be out on the roads again, though I do have to admit that it would have been nice if the weather had stayed mild for me! I am truly looking forward to the time when I can do more running than walking - and even no walking at all! But I am determined not to screw up my recovery!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I have been struggling with an injury since last August. No fun. Ease back into it. I know it will be tough for me too when I re-start running.

    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete