Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pumping Iron

Thanks to some "friends" talking about the results they got, I decided to start reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I find the premise quite appealing. I have been "lifting weights" for the last few years as part of my overall fitness plan. I use 5 pounders, though they are very easy. I could go up to 8, but I've always heard that women need to do more reps with lighter weights to sculpt the arms and not bulk up. I didn't want that!

According to this book, that is absolutely wrong!

I'm only a couple of chapters into the book, but the author advocates that women up the weights and stay away from the "Barbie weights" (love that) and do some real weight-lifting moves like the guys do. He claims we won't bulk up, but we will look sleek and toned and fabulous. He also recommends that women eat more protein (well, he says to eat more in general, which was another shocker!) to complement the harder training.

Yesterday at the gym, I decided to test the idea of heavier weights. I'm not following the program yet, obviously, since I haven't finished reading the book! LOL But I have been doing leg exercises from the PT and some basic arm machines. I decided to go up on the weight and see how it felt. It went surprisingly well! Today may be another matter - my arms are SO sore! My legs are fine, except for the glutes which were a little sore during yoga today.

I'm supposed to do weights again tomorrow but I'm not really sure that's going to happen! I guess I'll have to see how I feel! Stay tuned for more details on my progress to get a more toned look going on in this middle-aged body! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment