Friday, March 16, 2012

Why did I sign up for this?

Tomorrow  I have a 5K race.

I should type that as "race" since I won't be racing it. I'll still be doing my 1/1 intervals. And therein lies the problem. I have all these raw emotions running through me that I wasn't expecting:

1. This race has a 5K and a 10K. I have set a new 10K PR at this race in each of the last 2 years. But this time I will be doing the 5K, not the 10K.

2. 5K - i don't even sign up for 5Ks anymore because it seems like a waste of time and money to drive somewhere just to run for 3 miles. At least, that is how I felt before my injury. And I don't even really warm up until 2-3 miles into a run so 5Ks just don't make sense for me. But now... that's all different. This time I won't even be running the whole 5K.

3. This race is sponsored by my church, and I am embarrassed that I will be run/walking and only doing the 5K and that I won't be racing all out in front of my church friends.

I have found myself all week wondering why I signed up for this.

And then I remember what this race is called: Fallen Heroes of Georgia. The course will be lined with signs and each sign will list the name of a man or woman who has been killed in action since 9-11, along with the age and rank of that individual. Sometimes, there will be a parent or parents standing next to the their child's sign, holding a picture. Many of the ages listed are only a couple of years older than my son!

It's not about me. It's not about my vanity. It's not even about running, really. It's about honoring the memories of the individuals who gave their lives to ensure that I have the ability to live my life in freedom. It's about raising money for charities that support the families or memorialize the fallen soldiers. It's about showing the families of these soldiers that we appreciate their sacrifice.

No way would I miss this while I have the ability to make it across that finish line - 1K, 5K, or 10K!

No comments:

Post a Comment