Sunday, May 13, 2012

A decision has been made!!

Even though I haven't been to the pool yet to test out my shoulder, I have made a decision on where to take my training for the next several months! I know you've been on pins and needles waiting for my decision.

Well, wait no longer... it is my pleasure to announce to all of my readers (both of you! LOL) that I will spend the next 14 weeks training in an attempt to complete the Area 13.1 Half Marathon!! :)
This night race sounds like it's going to be a blast and I'm really looking forward to it! It will be a little different to train for a night race in the summer in Georgia, but I'm not out to set any land-speed records so I will just do the best that I can and enjoy myself.

As for my reasoning, it all boils down to a lack of time to prepare myself adequately for a triathlon, even a sprint distance. I haven't been swimming or cycling in over a month. And my tri training program has a long run of 45-60 minutes to start out, and I haven't built up to that amount of time just yet. Most days on the plan have two workouts, as well, and I'm just concerned that I'm asking for trouble if I try to jump into it. But ultimately, it's just a matter of time - or lack of it. In June, my older daughter has to go down to Atlanta every morning for dance which means leaving our house at 8:30 AM. The pool is 20 minutes each way and so is the park where I can ride. And the rest of us still have school to complete while she is away (she has school to do on the way down there... SHHH, don't tell her! LOL). I just don't see how it's possible without making a lot of stress for myself and my family. I am disappointed, but I want to enjoy myself - both physically and mentally. The triathlons will be there next year!

The training plan that I am going to use for the Area 13.1 Half Marathon is the "Run/Walk a Half Marathon" program from Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. That book should sound familiar if you've been a reader of my blog for any amount of time. I used it for all of my other halfs and for my full (which I didn't follow properly... thus leading to my injury).

This time, though, I'm going to be smart.

I read through the descriptions for all of the half-marathon training programs and two of the bullet points describe my current situation perfectly:
  • Runners who need a more forgiving strategy for long-distance training because of knee pain or injury
  • Runners who want to safely increase distance without punishing their bodies
There you have it!! I have found my plan! And I start training tomorrow! I hope that the twinging of yesterday will be gone. I will actually be running a little less than I'm used to in the first few weeks of the plan (with the exception of adding to the long distance on the weekends!) because the interval begins with 3/2 and I've been doing 3/1. I think that will be a good thing and will hopefully allow me to recover from any damage I inflicted on my IT Bands last week. For the required cross-training, I plan to swim and bike and do some yoga. And I plan to keep up with the strength workouts from Brazil Butt Lift to help keep my muscles strong and balanced.

I have to admit that I am very, very nervous. I am afraid of hurting myself again. I'm afraid of trying and failing. I'm afraid of embarrassing myself. I'm afraid of people looking down on me because I'm taking walk breaks.

But I'm going to give it a shot anyway. And I hope you'll stick around while I do! :)





4 comments:

  1. Hey, so I take it this is a night race? Sound neat, good for you to commit to a race & training plan. I'm sorry you hurt the ole IT band the other day, I guess it is part of the recovery eh? Waiting for the day when you can give it your all, I definately miss those runs. I've bumped myself up to 2/1 intervals and it does hurt, but I don't care. I feel like I have this need to burn off some energy, or else I'll.....I don't know, explode I guess. I really think my body is just looking for the endorphine rush it is used to.
    Good for you though....you sound very physically aware of your body, I'm sure your training will work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Renee, a night race. Well, it starts at 6:30 so it will still be pretty hot, but shouldn't be quite so humid. Today I had no twinging or anything on my IT band so that was good. Be really careful with pushing it too hard... you don't want to put yourself out of running at all, OK?! Hopefully we will both be pushing our bodies to their limits again! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an awesome race! But I'm a sucker for space/alien stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to do a race with my BFF again! Let's both train smart. Gonna be a hot night in the ATL! But we will have a blast!

    ReplyDelete