It was a day that has changed my life forever.
The last 7 months have been filled with all sorts of emotions. I was reading a fellow Team Tough Chik's blog today where she was talking about her own injury and how she has gone through the Stages of Grief. That's a really good analogy. I think I have been through them all... some more than once, because I'll backtrack now and then. But I'd like to think that I'm getting close to "acceptance". And I'd like to think that I have learned a lot during this time.
It makes me think of lyrics from the song, "For Good" from the musical Wicked:
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
I do believe I have been changed for the better
But, because I knew you (my dear old IT Band and Shoulder Impingement)
I have been changed for good.
Ok, so maybe I'm reaching a little bit! LOL So let me try to come up with 10 ways I have been changed for good since my injury:
1. I appreciate running (and biking and swimming and just staying active) so much more.
2. I no longer really care if I run faster than anyone else... or even if I run nonstop.
3. I can now understand why people get hurt running and give up.
4. My flexibility has improved a lot.
5. I have learned to listen to my body.
6. Running was becoming an unhealthy obsession - an 'idol' - for me.
7. My kids (who were complaining about me being gone so much for races) know that I will listen to their concerns and take them seriously.
8. I am reading about and learning techniques that will help me stay active for my entire life.
9. I experienced such blessings and closeness to God during the Goofy Challenge - wouldn't trade that for anything!
10. I got to do Brazil Butt Lift which has improved my strength.
Ok, so I had a really hard time coming up with the #10... but overall, I think 9 good things is good enough!
On a good note, I haven't had any pain (or even any twinges) while running in almost two months now! Hopefully the shoulder will respond to chiro and I'll soon be moving around again without experiencing any pain! :) I am more than ready!