Friday, May 4, 2012

Snap, Crackle, Pop!

I decided to get some professional attention for my shoulder. Based on my symptoms (pain in the shoulder/arm only on the upswing of the rotation of my arm, and a popping in my shoulder when I rotated my arm), I decided to start with a chiropractor. My sports massage office is attached to a chiro office, so I started there. And my insurance will cover 12 visits in a year at a cheaper copay than it would have cost to see the sports med doctor. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it, but I was more than a little nervous!

They started out by taking some x-rays and getting a medical history. Then, while the doctor was reading my x-rays, I sat with a stim machine and heating pad on my shoulder! That was a weird sensation, to say the least. I really only felt it in the front - they told me that was probably because of the overall tightness in my shoulders, back, and neck! LOL Figures.

Then the doctor came in and told me the diagnosis - Impingement Syndrome. My shoulder is separated at the A-C joint and that is doing something funky to my rotator cuff when I move in that way. It's actually a very common sports/swimming injury, so that's at least something good. And he thinks it will only take a handful of treatments to get it worked out. So more good news.

And then the treatment began. And it was scary for me... I kept thinking I was going to get paralyzed! LOL The first thing he did was some move that literally made my shoulder snap into place. Then he did a couple of other things. And finally he said, "Ok, now I'm going to send an electric shock down your arm. I mean it. So don't hit me with your other arm."

YOWSER he was not kidding. I think it took me an hour to get over the "shock and awe" of how that felt! LOL But, it seems like it all helped, at least a little bit. I'm going for 3 more treatments next week. I asked the doctor about triathlon training and he said, "Let's hold off on that decision for 2 weeks, OK?"

I can live with that! I have BBL for another week anyway, so it's not all that critical! I just really, really, really hope this works!!







2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm sorry you are experiencing a new injury. Poor you. You seem pretty resilient though, I'm sure you'll be tri training in no time. That electric shock was weird, I don't think I'd like that sensation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! I got a little carried away when I replaced my running with swimming, and I didn't ramp up slowly enough. Also, I think I need to work on my form a little more. The chiropractor also said it would be that I hurt my shoulder at some point, but it didn't really affect me until I needed to start using the shoulder in this way.

      Today, he not only shocked me but he also shot me with a gun - well, it's called an "impulse adjusting instrument" but it sure looks like a gun! LOL

      Delete