Saturday, May 12, 2012

Was it ego, Niffercoo?

The title is a reference to a line from The Hunt for Red October, one of my all-time favorite movies. It was directed towards Captain Ramius (played by Sean Connery), after he informs his officers that he posted a letter to the Admiral announcing their intentions to defect with the submarine Red October. One of his officers questioned his motives for doing so. Really, if you haven't ever seen this movie, what are you waiting for? You can rent it for only $2.99 on Amazon Instant Video.

Go ahead... go watch it. Then come back and finish reading. I'll wait...

Great, wasn't it?? :D

Anyway, I felt like Captain Ramius this morning during my run. Well, in his case, he had good motivation to do what he did. I was just. plain. stupid.

You know last week's runs? The ones I pushed really hard? Where my 3 minute run splits were around 9:00 miles? Yeah. Ego run wild.

Today, I had to pay the piper.

My right knee was really twinging through my whole run. On Wednesday's run, my right hip had been really, really tight...but that didn't stop me from neglecting my water intake. It also didn't make me slow down. I was going to run, and add an interval, and I was going to push hard and run fast because I was tired of taking it easy and I wanted to feel strong again.

Stupid.

So today I slowed down a lot... some of it purposely, and some of it because my darn hip and quad were so tight it was hard to move. When I stopped halfway through for a water break, I did a little stretching to help loosen it out. And it did help. I also really focused on my form and keeping relaxed. And that also helped. But I feel so angry with myself. I completely negated all of the benefits of my rest week during vacation. And now, instead of the fleeting feeling of strength, I'm back to feeling like I have to baby myself. And I have nobody to blame. Maybe pushing hard that one time was good and fine and wouldn't have hurt me. But I got the taste of feeling fast again and I didn't think long-term.

Stupid.

Ashamed of myself.

Rest day tomorrow and lots of stretching and hydration, and hopefully I haven't done too much damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment