Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A change of (training) plans :)

As you may have gathered from my previous posts, I haven't exactly been enjoying this evening training at all. Though it has been going as well as I could ever wish for, waking up in the middle of the night after a run with my legs all cramped up is not a fun experience. And I'm not able to fall asleep easily because I am exercising so late in the evening. I've been lamenting this to my husband over the weeks and finally the other day he said, "Then why are you doing it? I thought this was supposed to be fun for you!"

Then on Sunday morning, my Coach found me (I'd been avoiding him LOL) and asked me if I was going to do any triathlons this year. I told him about the half marathon I'd signed up for, but that my heart really isn't in it, and he said, "Well, there is a tri at the lake in September, you know. There's still time to get ready."

I was already feeling mopey because that morning was the Tri2Remember triathlon for Alzheimer's that I had wanted to do. And the young assistant coach from Austin's ball team last year was participating. I'd been following his training with much envy. I was very happy for him and am proud of his performance, especially considering that he was kicked hard in the ribs during the swim. But I guess my mopey-ness was evident, because later that afternoon, the young man texted my hubby and said, "There is a triathlon on September 30th at Lake Lanier. Your wife might be interested in it."

That was enough to get me to break out the calendar and the sprint tri training plan and see if it was even possible. Let us all forget for a moment that I haven't even been in the pool for 2 months. Apparently that sort of problem doesn't really come into play. LOL It is doable... training would need to begin on July 30th.

During my run on Sunday evening I spent a lot of time thinking about what is important to me. And why I chose this half marathon instead of a triathlon when 2012 was supposed to be all about tris for me. It was my shoulder problem, and the fact that the sprint tri training began with an hour long run and I hadn't yet built up to that time/distance yet. But my shoulder is feeling much better, and I'm learning about form in swimming to help avoid more problems, and I am now able to run/walk for an hour or more.

So I decided to give it a shot! I am going to dump the half marathon (hard to lose that money but if the training isn't giving me joy then it's worth it!) and shoot for the triathlon. Remembering, though, that I have not been in the pool to swim in 2 months, I will wait to register for a few more weeks. This is my last week of dance classes, and next week I'll be able to get to the pool and on the bike again and see how it goes! Am I nervous? You better believe it - and I'll expound on that in another post - but it's nervous in a good way. My heart was fluttering with excitement just contemplating the tri in a way that it hasn't for a very long time! I think that's a good sign!


No comments:

Post a Comment