Thursday, August 2, 2012

How hard is that brick?

Yesterday was my first 'real' brick on the schedule and it was a doozy: 30 minutes on the bike followed by a 30 minute run. I was nervous, to say the least. I didn't sleep well the night before.

I had decided to switch my focus on the bike from "getting faster" to "getting comfortable." It's been several months since I've been on the bike and I can't expect myself to be anywhere close to as fast as I was last spring when I had been riding consistently for almost a year. Taking lessons from ChiRunning and Total Immersion Swimming, I decided to work on relaxing while I ride. It made a huge difference! I had no idea how tightly I was clenching my muscles or how hard I was holding on. No wonder my wrists would hurt! Yeah, the ride was slow, but that's not the point right now. This is not going to be "Two months to your fastest triathlon yet!" This is going to be "Just cross the finish line upright!"

Coming off the bike was much easier with muscles that hadn't been clenched for dear life for the previous 30 minutes! I didn't notice any twinges in my right thigh, and the completely awful sensation that comes during the run part of a brick lasted less than a mile! My confidence is coming back slowly but surely.

When I got home, I noticed that my feet were awfully sore. I had suspected it was time for new shoes, and I decided not to put it off any longer. I went to the local running store and came home with these beauties: 


It's the Brooks Ghost 5, and they will replace my Brooks Launch (which are no longer made). I am going to take them out for their first run tomorrow morning! Hopefully there will be no blisters!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment