Saturday, August 18, 2012

The only thing we have to fear is...

I have saved up enough money to register for the Lake Lanier Triathlon.

I haven't registered yet.

Why not? I don't know. My husband suggests that I may be afraid. And I can't say that I disagree with him. I was hoping that I would get through this first block of triathlon training - the time I needed to be able to save up the entry fee - and I'd be pulling the trigger as soon as the check was deposited! Instead I find myself apprehensive. And it bothers me more than I'd care to admit.

To add insult to injury, tonight was the Area 13.1 Half Marathon. The one I registered for as my 'comeback' and then backed out of. I backed out to focus on the triathlon instead (or maybe that's just what I told myself??), and now that I could register for the tri, I haven't done it.

It doesn't take a genius to know that I'm not in as good of shape as I was this time last year. But I am not having any pain, and my speed is up to a more normal range (when you factor in the walk breaks that I'm still taking - 4/1 intervals). I am grateful for that, absolutely! And my flexibility is 1000% better than last year. I can touch my toes - can touch all 5 fingers to the floor, actually! I can do the triangle pose in yoga without having to use a block! That is amazing!

So why am I so scared? I have registered for a 5K next weekend, and my first 10K in October. I didn't have any trouble registering for either of those. This past week I swam 350 meters without stopping, and the tri swim is 400 yards, so I'm pretty confident. The longest bike ride I have done is a little shy of 10 miles and I need to be able to do 13 miles. I have a 60 minute bike ride coming up this week and I should get pretty close to 13 miles. I can obviously do a 5K in some combination of walking and running. Can I do all of them back-to-back?

This coming week's training includes the longest brick on the schedule (45/15), and an hour on the bike, which I mentioned before. It won't be the longest bike ride but it should get me the distance. So I'm thinking maybe I will feel ready to register next weekend once I have successfully completed those workouts??

I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment