Friday, September 14, 2012

Crossroads

I feel like I've come to a crossroads of sorts. This current "injury" (left lower leg - shin splints?) that's got me taking a few rest days combined with a cold/allergies thing that is making me exhausted and feeling icky has me re-evaluating my life. And I've come to a conclusion.

This isn't fun anymore.

Running (swimming, biking) used to be something I could feel good about. It was a sense of accomplishment. It was stress-relieving and fun!

Not it's the opposite - the seemingly unending cycle of injury this last year  (IT Band, Shoulder Impingement, Blisters from He**, now this shin stuff) has taken a toll. I think I have had a total of 8 WEEKS of pain-free running in the last 12 MONTHS - and not consecutive!!!! It's HARD WORK to recover from injury. Not to mention time-consuming and expensive. And I just don't know if it's worth it anymore. The training time is also really hard to accomplish with homeschooling. I can manage the swimming because the pool opens early enough, but the sun isn't coming up until after 7 now so I have to wait to do the biking/bricks until then. Running I can usually do in the dark with a headlamp. Anyway, by the time I add in all the stretching and rolling that's supposed to prevent/treat injuries, we start our school day way behind. Evenings are impossible for training during the school year because of my kids' activities and my husband's second job. It's just piling on more stress to my already stressful life.

The triathlon is in 2 weeks. I went to the massage therapist yesterday and she worked on  my leg, and boy did it hurt. She said it was releasing, though, so that's good. I am going back next week ($$$ since it isn't part of my membership plan ::sigh::) and hopefully that will be enough to get me through. It's too bad if it isn't because I don't have any money to pay for another visit. I have completely lost my enthusiasm for this race. I really don't even know if I want to attempt it now. This is supposed to be the peak week of training and I missed two workouts - swimming because I was sick and running because of the leg. I'm supposed to do the longest bike ride tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll be able to because I'm all congested. And the long run on Sunday just may not happen if my leg doesn't feel better.

Aren't you glad you stopped by to read my blog? LOL I'm sorry, but this is just how it is right now. I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the challenges anymore. I'm not sure I WANT to fight for it anymore. There are so many other things in my life that I have no choice but to fight against - autism, epilepsy - that I just don't know if I want to hang on to an optional one.




1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you need to just take a break and take the pressure off... maybe ease back into it to remember WHY you loved it in the first place!

    ReplyDelete