Sunday, October 21, 2012

Happy 4th Runniversary to me!

4 years ago today, I began the Couch to 5K program! In some ways it doesn't feel like a very long time, but my youngest who is 10 said that she doesn't remember that I ever "didn't run"!

I have been waxing nostalgic today - this has been a really rough year for me with running. I'm not sure I would have purposely signed up for all of what the last year has held for me, but I am starting to really think that it has made me a better person/athlete.

This morning, the 10 year old surprised me with a Runniversary celebration:



Isn't she the sweetest kid ever? I was so touched by her thoughtfulness! It has been especially touching because less than a year ago, the kids were complaining very openly about how all I cared about was running and I was gone every single holiday instead of spending time with them. It made me really sad. I took their complaints to heart and promised not to run a single holiday race this year, nor did I do any travel races. I wanted to show them that while running is important to me, it's not more important than my family. I hope that this celebration from my daughter is evidence that she sees that.

Tomorrow I begin my 5th year of running. I am really excited about it! There are a couple of races that I will be participating in for the 5th time - Jingle Jog for Autism and Fallen Heroes of GA! I will get to run in the 5th anniversary Princess Half Marathon and even though it will only be my 3rd time to do it, I think it's cool that the medal will have a 5 in in during my 5th year of running!

I wonder if me four years ago would have believed all that I have accomplished in the last 4 years? When I took off on that first day of Couch to 5K in 2008, did I ever expect that by October 21, 2012 I would have completed

14 5Ks
10 10Ks
6 Half-Marathons
1 Full Marathon
1 Warrior Dash
2 Sprint Triathlons
1 Goofy Challenge

That makes me really, really tired reading all that! LOL But I also have a great sense of accomplishment! I could linger on the fact that the numbers would have been higher had I not gotten injured last year, but I am not going to do that. Maybe I should focus on the fact that I did all of those things in 4 years and ONLY suffered one serious injury!  LOL

Tomorrow I will run the first run of my 5th year of running... and I will do my very best to appreciate it and ever run, swim, bike ride, and yoga pose for the next year!

In the words of the world-famous Swim Bike Mom: Keep Moving Forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment