Thursday, November 15, 2012

When my ego attacks

I went to the chiropractor on Tuesday to ask about my left leg issue. I was really afraid that there was something majorly wrong - like a stress fracture. He is a great guy and newly certified as a Sports Medicine Chiropractor, so I knew he would get it. I described what has been going on and he said that he would adjust me, for sure, but not everything was chiropractic, so let's talk about some other aspects of my training.

We started with dietary. Um, yeah. I admitted to being a picky eater, though I am getting better. I even had zucchini in my salad on Monday! But he was concerned about my mineral stores. So he recommended that I take a liquid vitamin that he happens to sell. (For the record, it looks like mud. And it tastes only slightly better. But I am giving it a shot to see if it helps me feel better).

On to my legs. He felt for a pulse in my ankles. He couldn't find one in the right ankle... the leg that has such a hard time with circulation (and has since my last pregnancy). He found the one in the left ankle a little better. This did not make him happy. Then he felt the part of my shin where I have had discomfort. "One there - and there - and there - and there - and there - and there..." He was finding small knots in the muscles of my shin. 6 knots in about a 5 inch spread. He told me I needed to get accupressure from the massage ladies in their office, and demonstrated. I am going to roll the area at home with a ball for a little while to see if that helps, while I determine if my Trina can do accupressure. I am not too sure about seeing anyone else.

Then he did the adjustment, or as I like to call it - the medieval torture table. I think he pulled my leg so much that I am an inch taller now! But the discomfort I had in my right hamstring was gone immediately.

I am to run today (done!) and come back to see him Friday.

So I ran today. I did a 4/1 interval for 45 minutes. It was on the treadmill today because it was cold and drizzling and I wasn't feeling like much of a Tough Chik. But it did feel better than it has recently.

Now you may be wondering where my ego comes into play - since that's the title of this post.

Well, right now! :)

You see, I am going to take a bit of a step back and follow the Penguin's Run/Walk a Half Marathon training program to get me ready for the Princess Half Marathon in 2013. I had talked before about "No Pressure Running" but unfortunately, my ego didn't get the message. What my ego heard was "Get back to running double digit distances ASAP". And maybe I can still do that. But to what purpose?

I think my body is screaming for an "off season" and for me to build up a little more slowly again. And while my ego has taken a huge beating for the last year or so, in the end, I want to be a runner/triathlete for a very long time. So what difference does it make if I'm running 10 mile long runs each week in December, or if I do one in February? In the grand scheme of things, what will it hurt? (Yeah, ego... I hear you screaming LOL) My next few races are 5Ks and 10Ks, aside from Princess, and then in the spring it's time to get back into the triathlon training business again.

And maybe, just maybe, if I build up nice and slowly again... then I can plateau at that level while I add in an increase in my swimming and biking? And my body won't hate me and hurt me? One can only hope!

Or maybe, instead, after Princess I could try to build up to running nonstop again? Wouldn't that be something else?!

So for now, I think the best course of action will be to take this small step back - back to 3/2 intervals again for a little while, back to shorter 'long' runs - and let my body regroup. I'm still working in my strength training twice a week so I can be getting stronger during this time and maybe this will get me to where I want to be.

Now, if only my ego will cooperate! :D

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete