Thursday, December 6, 2012

It's like a heat wave!

The southeast has been experiencing some mild weather this week, and Atlanta is no exception!

Our forecast high for Tuesday was in the upper 60s to low 70s, and we have no activities on Tuesdays, so I decided to push my swim to Friday and take Frank to the park!

I waited for the kids' rest time to ride which brought back memories of when I first started out in the whole running thing and they were too young to be left alone. I would put a movie in for everyone to watch during rest time and go run through the neighborhood. They didn't get much screen time on a school day so I knew a DVD would insure than nobody moved for the duration of the program! Alas, everyone is older now so rest time consists of Riley reading aloud to Reece from whatever book series they are going through (currently The Lost Hero series by Rick Riordan - they just finished The Kane Chronicles by the same author) while Austin works through his rest time to get his work finished sooner.

The park after lunch on a Tuesday is a virtual ghost town! I don't think I've ever seen it that empty, except once or twice on a frigid winter morning when everyone else waited for warmer temps. That was perfect for a bike ride! Usually I have to dodge lots of walkers, runners, kids on bikes, and dogs, but today I just had to dodge a tractor that was spreading mulch along the side of the trail! I couldn't complain too much because that means that the leaves (what they make the mulch out of) are all off the trail and I don't have to worry as much about wrecking!

I was able to keep a really awesome pace (for me)! My Garmin showed one mile at 15.4 mph! That's incredible for me! I feel like I'm getting much stronger on the bike, which is my goal for next tri season!

This morning's temp was 57 (before sunrise). I actually went out in short sleeves and a skirt - in December!! It was a little windy so I could have stood wearing capris, but I never felt truly cold. I was able to run in my new Under the Sea Sparkle Skirt for the first time so I could test it for... oh never mind, you'll have to wait for Sunday to find out! ;) I trust Sparkle Skirts so much that I didn't need to do a test run, but since the weather cooperated I figured I would go for it! As expected, the fit and comfort were awesome!

It looks like the nice weather will hold through the weekend and the Jingle Jog for Autism 5K on Saturday! I'm not sure I've ever done that one in just a skirt before, but with temps in the low to mid 60s, it appears that it will be another first on that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment