Thursday, March 7, 2013

Not-quite-the-couch to 5K

In my attempt to get back to running without intervals, I decided to go back to my roots and use the Couch to 5K plan. I wanted the structure of a 'plan' but since I have plenty of time before my target race (the 20th anniversary Dacula Memorial Day 5K) I am not really concerned about how much time it will take to build back up to running a nonstop 5K.

I'm finding that it's fun to go back through the plan again! I started last week with "Week 4" since it most closely resembled the intervals I was doing for the half marathon. This week, "Week 5" has the first nonstop run, which I am scheduled to do tomorrow. I remember how intimidating it was the first time, and it's no different this time. I am flat-out intimidated to run a nonstop 2 miles tomorrow!

But this time I have the benefit of experience. I know that I can do it because I have done it before. Last time when I was really starting from scratch, it was completely new and I was untested. Now that was scary!

But now, it's just a matter of not pushing myself too hard and allowing myself to go "low and slow" again. I'm finding that to be quite the challenge! My body has been doing intervals for so long that I've gotten comfortable running faster because I won't be running for long. Now I have to take a step back to running slowly until I am able to run longer. I think it will be worth it! :)

I'll be sure to update tomorrow when I'm done. My only concern is that I still have a lot of tightness in my left leg. I'm starting to wonder if I should take some time off and rest up a bit with yoga and stuff? I guess tomorrow's run and Saturday's bike ride will let me know! I'll listen to my body - I've learned that much!

By the way, the 2 miles that I'm running nonstop tomorrow will be part of the 5K I'm running as part of the Race2Remember Virtual 5K/10K! It's not too late to sign up and participate! All of the donations go to support Alzheimer's research!

No comments:

Post a Comment