Friday, March 8, 2013

Race Report: Race 2 Remember Virtual 5K

I was so excited to have a chance to participate in this virtual race for Alzheimer's research! My mother-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in the fall of 2012, and the impact it has had on our family has been great. I know many friends who have been affected by this disease as well, and I am glad to have the opportunity to be able to run in support of them.

Today was also special because it was my first 2 mile run without stopping for a walk break. I haven't done that since the middle of 2011 when I started the full marathon training which eventually led to my IT Band injury. I posted yesterday that I was a bit intimidated, and I was. But then I decided to focus on my mother-in-law, and I spent the run praying for her and for my husband and his sister. For all of the family and friends of my mother-in-law who love her dearly and are standing with her as she deals with this difficult diagnosis.

And the miles just drifted by! Before I knew it I was done! I had done a walking warm-up, so I finished out with some more walking to cool down and complete the 5K distance! It was a great feeling, and so far my legs feel just fine!

This one's for you Mama Ruth! :)
My first mile was 10:53 and my second mile was 10:10. Not as slow as I was shooting for so I hope my legs don't pay the price later. Thankfully I have 2 days before I run again to recover if that was too much on them.

I should have let the satellite reset before I took the picture... 43 minute pace? LOL
I recorded my official time, so all that's left to do is wait for the medal to be shipped out after St. Patrick's Day and then see if I happened to win any of the prizes! :) But the most important part is done - the money is donated to a good cause, and I logged the miles in honor of my loved one! :)

It's not too late to join me! Click here to learn more about this virtual race (you can run OR walk!!), see all the prizes you can win, and get signed up!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the virtual 5k! It always means more when you are doing a race in someone's honor.

    I was the person who commented on your Princess half marathon report.

    I was wondering if you would recommend a hotel for the Disneyland Half Marathon? My big requirement is being able to walk to the Start line - beyond that, I am pretty flexible (ok, clean and safe are definitely considerations lol!)

    Thanks in advance - I really do enjoy reading your blog - so at least you are talking to one person ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A real live person out there! LOL

      I've been to DL twice and the first time we stayed at the Howard Johnson across the street. It was a very nice place and the walk wasn't too bad at all. This last time we stayed at the Ramada Inn Maingate. It was much closer, but the hotel itself is a lot older. However, I never felt unsafe, and for the amount of time that I'm actually in my room (not much), it was just fine. The staff was extremely friendly and the room was clean.

      Both of those hotels are an easy walk to the start line!

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! That definitely helps. I plan to be at DL twice as well. Once for the DL Half Marathon and then in a few years for the Tinkerbelle Half Marathon (my bucket list includes earning one of all the Disney Half Marathon Medals - Mickey and Goofy go on and off the list - right now they are off ha ha)

    ReplyDelete