Monday, April 29, 2013

Becoming a triathlete

I took some time to think and pray this weekend about my workouts and my goals. Because I lost my Garmin on Friday, it added a little more emotion to the whole weekend. But what I finally concluded was this: it's time to make some changes!

The biggest and most important change will be in how I approach scheduling my workouts. I want to focus on triathlon this year, and specifically on improving my cycling. So why am I still running 3 days a week, but only swimming and cycling once per week? I can not hope to improve with cycling by only doing it once per week, not matter how far I'm cycling. I need to do some drills on the bike and I need to focus on getting time in the saddle. So starting this week I will be cycling twice per week, swimming twice per week, and running twice per week. I might add a third short cycling session to the schedule depending on how I am feeling. I'm also dropping back to 30 minute runs for the next few weeks while I add the second cycling session. I feel like I should run between 45-60 minutes (yeah, minutes since I don't have a way to measure mileage anymore @@) in each run session when I'm training for the tri, but training doesn't actually begin until June.

The second change, which I already alluded to, will be a shift in my reliance on "numbers" or "data" for my workouts. I'm going to have to go back to using my wristwatch (that I bought back in 2008 when I first started running LOL) and going by how I feel. While I'm still very upset about losing my Garmin, and so frustrated because I am always so careful with my things - we have packed up the entire house for remodeling and I have carefully put my Garmin away each time I used it - I've decided that there must be a good reason for it to be gone. I don't believe anything happens by accident, and God must have a good reason for this. Perhaps I'm getting too wrapped up on my numbers. Whatever the reason, I'm going to trust that God knows what is best for me and  try to embrace this change as best as I can.

As for my lower leg, I continue to believe it's related to tightness in the calf. I was not diligent last week in my rolling and stretching (or in my hydration), and I haven't been able to get in for a sports massage, so I'm going to work on that. I'm not sure if there is anything that could be done, but if it doesn't get much better in the next couple of weeks, I will make an appointment with the sports med doctor!

It's going to take awhile to get this new "triathlete" mindset. But I know I can do it!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Garmin! I agree though, everything happens for a reason, even when it's not obvious...it will be later. Good luck on your new triathlete goals!!

    ReplyDelete