Friday, April 12, 2013

Gear Report: Lunatik Athletics Running Skirt & Compression Socks

You may remember that I participated in a virtual race called Race 2 Remember back in March - to raise money for Alzheimer's research. Here is the race report, in case you need a refresher - CLICK HERE!

I was surprised when Janice contacted me to let me know that I had won a prize. And the neat thing about this contest, that I didn't realize, is that you get to PICK your prize! I had many wonderful options but in the end I went with the running skirt and compression socks combination from Lunatik Athletics. I had never heard of this company before, and since I love running skirts so much, I decided to give it a try!

I received my prize right away and they even enclosed a little note, which I thought was very sweet! I probably should have taken a picture of the skirt, socks, and note to place here - but I didn't. And I wonder why nobody contacts me to give me free stuff to review or to sponsor my blog! LOL

Oh, well, moving on...

It's been too cold to run in a skirt until this week. But Wednesday when we got home from our trip and I wanted to hit the trail, it was 81 degrees! My new skirt was calling to me!

I did remember to have my son take a picture of me before I headed out!

The colors in the skirt go very nicely with my race shirt from Princess 2013, don't you think?

The design of the skirt reminds me of a Running Skirts Athletic skirt, except there are pockets on the shorts and not on the waist (more like Skirt Sports Gym Girl Ultra). I ordered a Small (where I should be according to the size chart) and it fits OK. I have a fairly ample rear-end and larger thighs compared to the rest of me, so my skirt is a little tighter across the butt than it might be on others. It's also a little shorter than it appears on the picture on the website but, again, that just might be how it fits on me. As for comfort, it felt very nice when I was running. The shorts did ride up a bit, but I blame that on my larger thighs. The shorts are not compression but they do fit snugly. It was very, very hot when I was doing my run but the skirt wicked moisture away quite well and I was comfortable the entire time. This skirt is only $47 - which is a downright bargain compared to what the major companies are charging for their skirts! For that price, you could justify buying one for running errands or hanging out in!

I decided to wear the compression socks on my run - something I don't usually do - since we had done the hike the day before and my calves were a bit fatigued. One think I like about these compared to the other ones I have (Running Skirts brand) is that they don't come up as high. My other ones are very long and come up to the bend in my knee which can be a bit uncomfortable. I just realized when I pulled up the size chart that I should have ordered a Medium in the socks instead of a Small - my mistake! That explains why they are a little tighter at the top than I would have liked. They still fit OK in the foot length and around the ankle - probably where my funky leg shape comes in handy! LOL Overall they were very comfortable and I came back from my run with legs that didn't really feel any worse than they had before the run! I think I might try a pair of their compression sleeves one day - I've never worn them but lots of people I know swear by them and say they are better for long distances because you can still wear the socks you normally wear.

Overall, I really liked this skirt and compression socks from Lunatik Athletics and I'm anxious to follow this small company's products in the future!




3 comments:

  1. How cool! Congrats on winning...you picked a good prize, too! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for providing plenty of useful content. I have bookmarked your site and will be without doubt coming back. Once again, I appreciate all your work and also providing a lot vital tricks for your readers.
    Triathlon Shorts

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I was looking for a post-run sock. Love my compression socks.

    ReplyDelete