Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pedal practice!

Yesterday afternoon was a beautiful, sunny day in Atlanta - and my bike called to me! It said, "You know you want to practice clipping in and out somewhere besides the trainer!" And you know what, he was right!

So I took Mike off the trainer (who seems to need a name of his/her own), and made my way down to the end of my driveway without falling over in my new cycling shoes (these, in case you are curious). That felt like the first victory because these things feel weird on my feet. And to think I got the Mountain Bike shoes because they are supposed to be easier for newbies? Wow!

I started out by clipping in on my left foot. It took a few tries but I got it. Then I pedaled and hopped up on the saddle and tried to clip in on the right - SNAP! It worked!

I pedaled up to the first cul-de-sac in the neighborhood, rounded it, and then slowed to a stop at the stop sign. SNAP - unclicked. I put my foot down and stopped.

I did this at each stop sign in the neighborhood, and even ventured outside the neighborhood very briefly. And I didn't fall once! Granted, I didn't have to make any sudden or unexpected stops, but overall I thought I did very well.

I wasn't expecting to feel such a difference on the bike, but it's very different - in a good way! I felt like I had a lot more power, especially going up hills. I'm not sure if that was just my imagination or not, but it was a good feeling, so I'm going to go with it! LOL

My plan is to do a trainer ride this weekend, just to make sure that my legs don't get more tired than expected. Then next week I will do a short ride at the park just to make sure I'm secure with clipping in and out before I venture out onto the roads. It's all terribly exciting! :D

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the bike ride!! Sounds like a fun time! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I'm such a clutz, I imagine I would fall every stop. :)

    ReplyDelete