Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wetsuit practice!

During this morning's swim, I decided to give the wetsuit a try! I knew I couldn't do the entire workout in it because I would get overheated, but my search for an open water swim to try it out in has not been successful. And I want to make sure that it works for me in the water before my 30 day fit guarantee period is up.

So, to the pool I went. Carrying my huge bag-o'-wetsuit! LOL

I went after the big morning rush and was a little annoyed to find that most of the swimmers were in the locker room changing. Right where I wanted to put on the wetsuit! I sure as heck wasn't going to try to get it on poolside with everyone watching!

But it turns out the nice ladies that I say hi to each morning were very, very helpful and supportive! They helped me make sure I had it on right, and there were a couple of experienced tri ladies there to make sure I had everything in the right place! That helped to relax the nerves quite a bit.



Right here would be a great place for a picture of me in my wetsuit at the pool. 

Blog Fail. @@

I walked out onto the pool deck and my favorite life guard applauded! The nerves popped back up again! I went over to chat with him for a minute and then I finally got up the courage to get into the water.

To my surprise, I floated. Freaky! I only planned to do 300 meters. I figured that would give me a decent feel for how it would fit while swimming a sprint tri (around 450 meters) without getting me overheated. The sensation of swimming in the wetsuit is hard to describe. It was a lot like having a pull buoy between my legs. My body floated on top of the water and I used my arms but almost didn't feel like I needed to! It was really effortless. I can understand now why the wetsuit would give you an advantage! I did my 300 meters and it felt like I'd barely done anything!

Getting the wetsuit off wasn't all that bad (getting it on wasn't that hard, either, once I made sure the crotch - sorry for the language but I don't know how else to describe it - material was up as far as it could go before I tried to pull up the top part). The zipper pulled down easily and I was able to peel it off quickly. I rinsed it off, inside and out, in the shower and then laid it out to dry while I finished my workout. 

Oh, one funny thing... when I got out of the pool, I could feel the water running down the legs of the wetsuit! That was a strange feeling! :)

So, there was my wetsuit practice report! Once again, the anticipation was worse that the actual event! Maybe I will still be able to find an open water swim to practice with it, but if not, it's waiting for me in case I need it for my tri at the end of September! :) It is so nice to have one so I won't have to worry about the weather!


1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a good test run with the wet suit! Awesome that your gym friends helped you out...so nice of them! :0)

    ReplyDelete