Thursday, June 27, 2013

Running with water... and a training app

Today was a run day again. With this tri training and only running twice per week (until the bricks start/resume in a couple of weeks), sometimes it seems like "forever" since I've run. In fact, today I was wondering if I'd even remember how to run!

Since I run in the summer in Georgia, and it gets nasty hot, I have been wanting to be able to carry some water/gatorade with me. Last summer I bought a handheld water bottle, but when I tried to run with it I felt all out of balance. I've been thinking about getting a belt system to see how that would work. I would really like to be able to run places like the Greenway, or Stone Mountain, and even some unpaved trails, but to do that I have to have some water on me. My MRTT chapter leader lent me her iFitness belt that has a holster for a water bottle. I ordered a set of Fuel Belt 6 oz. bottles from Amazon.com using my swagbucks gift cards, so this experiment only cost me $1.50! LOL

I set out for a nearby park with a trail that is almost 3 miles. I had my handy-dandy RunKeeper app and my music I spent most of the day getting into iTunes yesterday and my belt around my waist and I took off!

The belt started to bounce and ride up right away, but I think it wasn't adjusted tightly enough. I wasn't able to adjust it on the run because of where I had the bottle holster placed. So I made the best of it! I messaged my chapter leader to see if I could borrow it for my next run and she graciously agreed. Hopefully I can get a better fit because I really, really liked having water on me for the run. It was nice to be able to do a longer route for a change of scenery! I need to be able to find something that works for me! It was so nasty humid this morning that I drank 32 ounces of water (10 before, 6 on the run, and another 16 when I got home) and I didn't even have to pee! My shirt was absolutely soaked, and I am not a heavy sweater, and this trail was mostly in the shade! Yikes!

I used the RunKeeper app again today! I set up a "workout" to be a 5 minute warm-up, 20 minute run, 5 minute cool-down. I was even able to tell it which of my playlists to use, though about halfway through something happened and the music stopped. But I really like how the voice tells me when it's time to run or time to cool down (walking, in my case). I wish I could figure out how to make the warm-up/cool down their own separate pacing and not thrown in with the overall pacing and the mile splits. But truly I haven't played around with it much at all, so it may be in there and I just have to figure it out. Regardless, I am really having a blast with this app! It's like having my Garmin back, but even better! :)

Post-run selfie - couldn't figure out how to show the hydration belt in the picture!

Now THESE are some hills! :)

I promise I won't put up a graph each and every time I do a workout. But this is still fun! Look how fast I was running for awhile! The beginning and the end are the walking pace. I love graphs!! :D



6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of my fuel belt because it always bounces like crazy! I still haven't figured out how to make that thing work! Great job on your run! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an iFitness belt, too. I accidently bought a size too large at an expo, and the only way that I have gotten it to stop bouncing was to make my husband wear it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen and Kira, since you both have the bouncing going on, what do you use to carry water on runs? Hand held? Or do you just deal with the bouncing?

    And yes, Lisa, that app is WAY cool! Can you get it for your phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately my husband and I have been doing our longer runs through a park that has water fountains along the route so that neither of us has to use the belt.

      Delete
  4. Kira, that's a good idea! Our parks have water fountains but they aren't really on the trails - they are usually near the bathrooms. And sometimes they will turn them off for some reason. :(

    ReplyDelete