Saturday, July 20, 2013

Changed

I'm gonna make a few particular people upset with the post I'm about to write. No, I'm not going off on another soap box, don't worry!

Remember a few weeks ago when I talked about my next half marathon being my 10th half-marathon? No? That's okay... you can click here to read it.

I've been thinking long and hard since then about half-marathon training and what that would involve. I've been thinking about costs to get to Florida to do either the Gasparilla Half or the Princess Half. I have great friends who I would get to share either experience with me. So really, it would be a win-win situation.

But slowly, thoughts began creeping into my mind:

"My half-marathon training plan has only 2 days of cross-training per week. I don't want to go back to only cycling one day and swimming one day. I will lose all the endurance I've built up. I wonder if I can add another day of running while I continue to do the others?"

"I really feel so good when I'm training for a tri!"

"If I spend the money on a travel trip, then I won't be able to get the things for my bike that I want for next year."

It has slowly become obvious to me that I'm just not feeling the overwhelming excitement over a 10th half-marathon trip - at least, not at the expense of the things I want to be able to do next year to prepare for my triathlon goals in 2014. Ultimately, I would rather spend my money in that way - for my bike/triathlon gear.

I guess my priorities really are shifting. I want a new saddle for my bike, and I want to get a professional triathlon-specific fitting for my bike! Those are pretty expensive, and they are the next two things that are crucial for me to be able to move forward in my cycling (which is necessary for my goals).

So it appears that I will still build up my running to the 9-10 mile point (perfect for the olympic distance triathlon AND the half-marathon), but any half-marathon race I may do for my 10th will have to be a local race if I am to do it in the next 12 months. And really, at this point, I'm not sure I will be shooting for a half-marathon entry this winter. I guess I will wait and see how the distance goes and if I am feeling good, then maybe I'll register. I'm not going to put that pressure on me right now. 

I thought it was so important for me to do another half-marathon ASAP - without walking intervals - to prove to myself that I am "back". And I think it was... 6 months ago. Tink seems so long ago. Princess seems so long ago. That desperate need I had to prove to myself that I was "healed" is just not there anymore.

It's amazing to me how changed I am inside. And I'm not disappointed by that!

2 comments:

  1. Woot! Woot! I love that! I'll let you hold my pirate medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried you would be upset with me!

      Delete